What do I have here?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by JimG2, Jan 19, 2015.

1. JimG2

JimG2 Member

A mint error or later damage?
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

It was an encased coin. It's damaged.

4. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Possibly a cent that at one time or another was imbedded into a Good Luck Charm.

Kinda like this:

I LIKE IKE 1956-D Lincoln Obv.jpg

As such, it would just be post minting damage.

5. JimG2

JimG2 Member

An encased coin seems plausible, but examples I've found don't seem to damage the coin this much. I've seen buttons made from IHCs that are more extreme though.

6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

The rims are cut back like train wheels to hold the cent in place in the good luck token, thus it's damaged . Any alterations to any surface the coin is damaged .

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The rims aren't "cut back" at all. Encasements are made using an aluminum blank with a hole in it and the cent is placed in it and loaded into a press. The dies in the press also have a hole in them so they don't flatten the coin, but the hole is often a little smaller than the diameter of the coin. When the piece is struck the hole in the aluminum tries to collapse toward the center, and the edge of the coin is forced outward. This forces the two pieces together and "locks" them tight. But it does flatten the rim of the coin. Sometimes the design on the die comes all the way tothe edge of the hole and you will see part of the design impressed onto the rim of the coin.

8. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

9. JimG2

JimG2 Member

Thanks everyone. This coin would have been better left in the encasement! :)

10. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

I agree--it looks like damage from a (crude) encasement. Fortunately it wasn't an 1897 "1 in Neck" :)

[​IMG]

JimG2 and Jwt708 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted