What do I have? A 'Silvered' One Cent Piece?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Topcat7, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Hi,
    My 1904 'Indian Head' penny (3.17 gm.) has been 'silvered'. (Note the wear marks in the photos.) Presuming that this was done at the mint, I consulted my 'Red' Book (2017) but I couldn't find a reference to it being 'silvered'.
    Can anyone shed some light on this for me please?
    As a collector of 'Ancient' coins, I am aware that some coins were 'silvered' officially, and some (Fourrees) were silvered to deceive. Has anyone heard if that is the case here?

Magical Snap - 2017.08.22 09.03 - 004.jpg
    Magical Snap - 2017.08.22 09.01 - 001.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. toserve

toserve New Member

This is most definitely plated post mint. It is hard to tell the timeline and reasoning. Some are plated to see if they can do it, some for decoration/jewelry, others for deceit. It is unlikely for deceit.

Burton Strauss III likes this.
  4. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Thanks @toserve . I appreciate the input.

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Hey @Topcat7 moderns are quite different from ancients. Don't know of any deliberate silvering of modern coins.

6. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

@Kentucky
    Nor did I, and that is why I thought that it might have occurred at the mint.
    There would be no (monetary) value in doing it after production, would there?

7. Kentucky

Actually people do this kind of stuff Post Mint in order to claim "Fabulous Error" "Only One Ever Found", etc. No government mint that I know of has ever silver or gold plated any coins, now copper....

8. BostonCoins

BostonCoins Well-Known Member

I think another option to consider is back in the 1940's and 1950's, it was quite common that people would dip coins in Mercury. I've seen plenty of coins posted over the years that were silvery in color (but weren't supposed to be). I've seen many people of an age that would have been kids during that time say this is something that was quite common to do.

9. Kentucky

Not really "quite common", but not unheard of.

10. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

I bet it's zinc plated -- a common experiment in high school chemistry.

Draft saved Draft deleted