What do 1,200+ lbs of Lincoln cents look like?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Seattlite86, Mar 1, 2018.

1. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Lincoln cents are a copper alloy, not pure copper. If it was legal to melt them, refiners would only pay about 25% of the price of Grade A copper.

Chris

Seattlite86 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

To clarify a little further, they have a machine that you dump coins into. The machine charges 5%. You can dump whatever you want into the machine. I just choose to only dump Lincoln cents. They might not be too happy when they catch on that I’m only dumping the lowest denomination.

4. Seattlite86

Well, I’m not going to argue with you. I’m also not going to argue with a buyer who wants to pay 1.6x face for copper cents. I have to cover shipping , so it won’t be a significant gain, but more than dumping for a 5% loss.

-jeffB likes this.
  5. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

The copper may be worth more but it cost a lot to separate it so the de facto value is less.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. Seattlite86

Yup, understood. And I’m not advocating melting US coins, I’m just happy to get more than face value for them. So far, however, copper percentage has been low.

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

If you have a buyer willing to go 1.6x for copper, JUMP ON THAT and try to work out some shipping compromise. Cause you can't get that price anywhere.
    And yes, most of your coins are going to be zinc.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. cpm9ball

Stupid is as stupid does.........Forrest Gump

Galen59 and Seattlite86 like this.
  9. Seattlite86

I went through another 20-30 lbs. nothing special found. This bag was from the previous purchase of a hundred lbs or so. Hopefully my next search will yield something. I went through 1992s and 1995s. No DDO or CAM. Found two or three wheat cents and a Romanian coin. I found 2x Lincoln cents with what looks like the Lincoln memorial left an imprint on the obverse. One is 1984 the other 1987. The field is clearly raised running through the date. Is this grease? What do you think?
    87C41030-DFC1-4EEA-8AE2-02FC2F733D74.jpeg 09295C88-B744-47D9-8961-4A92154EC005.jpeg AD086C1C-59F5-4640-8377-020E55D20CA5.jpeg A5E4648C-2D14-4B50-AB6D-CE80D167EC2D.jpeg

10. cpm9ball

I don't see it.

Chris

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. Michael K

I don't see it but that memorial on the front is a known and good coin.
    The 1992 and 1992-D are the rarest of the CAM's.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  12. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

What do you mean a known and good coin?
    Are you talking about a die clash?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  13. Michael K

Thought there was a premium for the Lincoln in prison cents.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

If you have a strong clash then you may be able to get a few bucks. Nothing you will be able to retire off of :p

Seattlite86 and Michael K like this.
  15. Michael K

Yes that is all I was thinking, that it is more valuable than a common wheat.
    Like the nice King George the 5th Canadian in this batch. I'd like to see a photo of that both sides.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  16. montynj3417

montynj3417 Active Member

I totally disagree with selling the copper pennies for melt weight. They legitimately qualify as historical artifacts; if not for us, then generations of collectors who follow us. Maybe kids who get their moms and dads to let them paw through the change from their pockets and purses to find a 1959 Lincoln to fill a hole in their album, or find a 1964 penny with sharp details and most of its original luster. Destroying all those coins for a few bucks from a scrap dealer demonstrates indifference to the future. Remember all those trainloads of US silver coins that got melted down, regardlees of their rarity or condition, to enrich the Hunt brothers?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  17. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

what.. you've no sense and a whole lot of cents, I'm hoping you got this for half value, other wise, your stuck

18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

On e-bay?

Seattlite86 and Cheech9712 like this.
  19. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Do you have any idea how many of those things were minted? 1200 lb is the equivalent of very small drop in the ocean. Probably the equivalent of the US melting a handful of Morgans 100 years ago.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  20. Michael K

It's not 1200 lbs of copper anyway. Depending on the # of zincs, 300-400 pounds I guess.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  21. John T.

John T. Active Member

You know, that really wouldn't be that hard. It will cost a little money, but not impossible. We do almost anything with food. Dates are just another item to look for.

Draft saved Draft deleted