What do 1,200+ lbs of Lincoln cents look like?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Seattlite86, Mar 1, 2018.

1. USCoinCollector42

USCoinCollector42 Well-Known Member

Keep us informed on what you find. I’m interested to see what else is in there :)

Seattlite86 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

For only $10?? I know what you're talking about, but that's a lot cheaper than I remember. As they say, times change...

I too would be interested in seeing it.

4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Haha... I don't mean to laugh, but a guy in Germany acquiring over 1200lbs of US cents simply to dig through is the kind of crazy I admire. :)

5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Missing from your list:
    1970-S small date, 1982 small date Philly.
    GL

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Well, it was long ago and the record of it is now gone. But if you type in "penny sorter" or something like that I am sure several will pop up. I found it quite reliable but you can only feed one at a time, maybe 20 a minute. I am sure there are better, more expensive ones.

EDIT: I just went and looked and could find nothing comparable to mine. When I bought it a few years ago they were quite common.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

That is true commitment!

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

They look like a heap of sense (Cents).

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Thank you for checking. I looked this up a while back and saw some things but haven't seen any in a while. With this number, I would be interested in one that could feed multiple. Perhaps I'll make a new thread about it.

11. Seattlite86

I turned in my first 5,100 or so coins. It takes me about one hour per 1,000 cents. I’m wondering if that’s slow or fast. But at that rate, I will need 196 nights to get through them all. I believe I’ll have the opportunity to do another purchase of these. Going to need a new tactic...

furryfrog02 likes this.
  12. Seattlite86

Wheaties I’ve found so far. Haven’t searched them thoroughly yet. Ignore that Canadian cent on the right corner. I tossed it in the dump pile. The machine took the Canadian cents today. That made me happy.
    6DCF5DFE-AAF6-48D9-8171-B38EC2146AE9.jpeg

13. Seattlite86

Foreign coins. I’ve found more Canadian but non coppers are being dumped at the bank. I will exchange pfennigs and spend the euro cents.
    D0290861-B4AC-4A24-BDF9-22F4008EF227.jpeg

14. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I guess there is not a lot to do on cold winter night in Germany. :)

Seattlite86 likes this.
  15. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I usually search a box (2500 coins) in about an hour. I've been doing it for years and have my system down pretty well :)
    What year is that Canadian on the upper right of of the foreign pile? Looks like KGV. I've ony pulled one of those in ~$15k worth of cents searched.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  16. Seattlite86

If only it were that simple. That was done over several nights. I started sorting before posting the photos. I have a wife, kids and a 20 page paper that occupies most of my time. I can sneak in an hour a night when the kids go to bed. I won’t be able to sort everyday. This is almost a year long project itself.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  17. Michael K

That old Canada at the top right is a good one.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. Seattlite86

Already put it away, but I think 1939. One of the hours was using the loupe to look for varieties. 1992s, 1995, and 1984s were a bust. Haven’t searched the others yet. I guess I need to speed up my process. Part of the issue is having to pick up every night and lay it back out. That takes time.

19. Michael K

Those are usually a dollar or two depending on condition and rarity.
    canada.png

Seattlite86 likes this.
  20. Seattlite86

Michael K likes this.
  21. Michael K

I wouldn't bother with the sorter. You can only miss stuff. Mis aligned dies, etc.
    Looking at the coins is part of the fun, even if it takes a long time.

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted