What did you start with?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by OzRadio, May 28, 2005.

1. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Collect what you find interesting. 5 or $10 per coin can be a little limiting but even something like buffalo nickels can actually be done in low grade in this sort of range.

Any of the circulating coinage can be cheap if you collect only the regular issues. Some of these are surprisingly tough yet still cheap. If you really want tough and really cheap then try a circulated variety set of almost any of these coins. Quarters are especially fun (at least for me), though it's not really possible to complete this set. Attempting it can cost less than $125 even with the books and supplies you'll need. The best thing about it is that you'll not only learn a lot about coins but will also have a few important coins if you look at a lot of rolls.

The best bet is always to find something you're interested in and to define the collection for yourself. It will be more enjoyable if you aren't a slave to getting every coin the catalogers list or collecting the way others find to be best.

Have fun and the luck will follow.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. OzRadio

OzRadio New Member

Collect what you find interesting. 5 or $10 per coin can be a little limiting but even something like buffalo nickels can actually be done in low grade in this sort of range.

I'm quickly getting the sense that coin collecting is primarily for those with bank accounts more more endowed than mind. I may not last long but, like you and others have said, most recent coinage is fairly cheap. I'll have fun with it while I can.

Any of the circulating coinage can be cheap if you collect only the regular issues. Some of these are surprisingly tough yet still cheap. If you really want tough and really cheap then try a circulated variety set of almost any of these coins. Quarters are especially fun (at least for me), though it's not really possible to complete this set. Attempting it can cost less than $125 even with the books and supplies you'll need. The best thing about it is that you'll not only learn a lot about coins but will also have a few important coins if you look at a lot of rolls.

I was also thinking of choosing a year and trying to collect as many U.S./foreign coins as I could from that year. Maybe a recent year where most values would (hopefully) still be low.

4. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Nah...see I don't trust banks too well...so even someone with out a bank account can collect coin!!!

You can collect Franklin Half for under $10 each...most can be had for $3 each...if you like foreign that would be great as they are cheaper most of the time!!
    I've kindof been collecting some...its fun seeing the coins in shapes and sizes not like ours.

For $10 you should be able to do a complete set of dimes even the silver dimes from 1946 to date...also nickels (1938-date) and cents (1959-date)...

Coin Collecting is for any size of bank account...even a few mint and proof sets can be had for $10 or less.

Some Commemoratives can be had for that too...also a set of American Silver Eagles can be put together with $10 a week...there is one that would be more but if you save it shouldn't be too hard...and that is also fun...buying a coin you have saved for!!

You should be able to do a Date set of many coins...that way you don't have to buy the rare ones...like the 1914-D cent...you could buy the 1914-P....if you like Tokens you might try that was of collecting--Tax Tokens are fun....and many other kinds of tokens.

If you like Paper Money you could buy some Silver Certificates---I think a set from 1923-1953 is pretty cheap...but I haven't look for sometime...I have some I have bought for $1.50-$2.00 each.

But don't let us tell you how to collect...there is no wrong way to collect...the way you pick is the best way for you.

Speedy

5. rick

rick Coin Collector

Hang in there, coin collecting is a hobby that can be enjoyed at any budget. It can be a little intimidating to go into a shop and see so many things that are displayed outside what you are looking to spend - I can relate on that score. But if you figure a budget, even 5 bucks a month, or so, you can collect coins.

I actually think about this fact every time I try to quit smoking! If I didn't have that habit - I could spend all that money on coins, instead of bad lungs... It almost worked once. :rolleyes:

If you're after sets, I think wheat pennies can be pursued pretty avidly on a low budget - in decent grades, too.

6. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Hey Rick...
    I posted about this once...a long time ago...on how much money could people save and spend on coins if they...and I listed a few things...

So give it another try...it sure can't hurt you and it would help your coin buying budget!!

Speedy

7. Metalman

Metalman New Member

Well it appears that you have had all the suggestions that a person can stand , except (buy the keys first to what ever coin you decide to collect) other than that your all set !!!

Rick

8. Black Hawk

Black Hawk New Member

I am 13 and new to coin collecting. I am starting with Kennedy Halves. These coins are inexpensive in good condition and have an tmpressive size.

Draft saved Draft deleted