What did I buy?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by howieh, Oct 21, 2018.

1. howieh

howieh Suzie’s hubby

image.jpg image.jpeg image.jpeg To all: Good morning and I would appreciate your thoughts,input,comments etc. on
    The attached quarter. Cleaned,estimated grade,should I send in for grading?

Not the best with pictures and thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Looks like a 1917 Variety I. My best guess from the pics is AU50, FH. Nice buy.

4. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Very nice! AU DET. Improper Cleaning would most likely grade. Also has a good chance at FH.

spirityoda likes this.
  5. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Your image of a coin in a 2x2 makes it difficult to give an accurate assessment.
    Can't tell if the shield is because of a weak strike or from wear.

6. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

It can be hard to tell from photos, but I'm leaning towards cleaned.

spirityoda and dwhiz like this.
  7. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

+1

8. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

+2

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You bought a Type 1 1917 Standing Liberty Quarter that has been harshly cleaned. You can see the cleaning marks on both sides in the fields. Not worth grading as it would probably grade XF or AU Details, cleaned.

Heavymetal, PlanoSteve and spirityoda like this.
  10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The flip isn't helping you any. The plastic will create unwanted glare and hotspots. If you want better answers remove it from the flip.
    Second, flatten those staples before they give another coin unwanted damage.

LuckyCoin likes this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I've had about 20 minutes and I can't get your question off my mind. This has led me to ask myself a question, one that I will ask you.

Why do you go to coin shows?

I can think of 3 reasons I go. In no particular order:
    1) To add to my collection
    2) To increase my knowledge
    3) To have fun

I would also like to add; If you buy something, anything, and ask afterwards the question you asked, I would be asking myself, should I have bought it in the first place? Obviously the answer is NO. Learn first.

Heavymetal, 1916D10C and spirityoda like this.
  12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

It's a beautiful example of a 1917 Standing Liberty quarter, cleaned or not. It does appear to be a "full head" and if the price wasn't too high, I would have bought it to add to my collection. Welcome to Coin Talk.

Randy Abercrombie and PlanoSteve like this.
  13. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Would you go to a used car lot and buy the shiniest-looking car you found, then wonder exactly what you bought and ask others if it is in good condition, and whether you got a good deal?

14. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Not even the same. He bought the coin because he liked it, which is what coin collecting is about, and not being knowledgable he is asking others opinions to educate himself.

15. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

howieh, I'm with @Mountain Man on this, regardless of the condition (looks like it's cleaned, by your pics), for the right price I would have bought it myself. :happy:

Btw, please do us all a favor & take a pair of pliers & crimp down those staples before someone gets hurt. :D:p

LuckyCoin likes this.
  16. howieh

howieh Suzie’s hubby

17. howieh

howieh Suzie’s hubby

The coin was bought at auction,not a show. As We are all aware an ungraded item on line is
    always a gamble. Also as I have learned in my almost 70 years it never hurts to solicit other
    opinions,there's always something new to be learned and I appreciate everyone's thoughts. I
    joined this forum/site as I believe that is a major function of it.
    Also a shouted no was not necessary. I Have tried to learn first.last and always. I will be
    posting other coins in the future and look forward to yours ans everyone's opinions. Again
    Thanks

18. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Totally my all time favorite. Beautiful Type One. Absolutely an AU piece. Possibly dipped. Wouldn’t matter to me though. She is a beaut!

Dave363 likes this.
  19. howieh

howieh Suzie’s hubby

Thank you for your reply. The header on the post was meant to be to be tongue in cheek,I am
    very happy with the coin.

Kentucky likes this.
  20. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

If you want to have people begin to ignore your posts, this is the path to take.

21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

What the devil does that mean?

Draft saved Draft deleted