What could your favorite coin buy the year it was struck?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mcz0804a, May 8, 2018.

1. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Way

Type 1s (1851-1853) are 0.8g of 0.750 fine silver. Type 2s and 3s (1854...) are 0.75g of 0.900 fine.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Yes, that is one of the prettiest SLQs I have ever seen! Thanks for posting it!

CircCam likes this.
  4. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

One of my favorites:

edward i kingston.jpg

An Edward I Penny
    What could a penny buy during his reign? Let's take a look. A loaf of bread always cost 1 penny. The size of that loaf of bread varied depending on how much flour cost, but the price of a loaf was always 1 penny. 2 chickens cost a penny (on average). A ferry ride across the River Thames also cost a penny. A pint of ale would cost you 2 pence. A gallon of wine cost anywhere from 4 pence to 10 pence, depending on the quality of the wine. A tunic would run about 8 pence, shoes about 4 (low quality on both). If you were an archer in his army, your daily wage was 3 pence. If you were in the infantry, you received 8 pence a day. If you were in the cavalry, 18 pence. A cheap sword would cost you 6 pence.

5. mcz0804a

mcz0804a Member

It is interesting to see the WIDE range of efforts put into varying goods & services that are similar in cost. Raising a chicken most certainly costs more than baking bread.

6. rte

rte Well-Known Member

IMG_20150919_211543.jpg
    200 REIS 1707
    Passage on a large ship.
    A bottle of your favorite liquor.
    Nice Dinner and Date with the lady of your choice.

CircCam, Theodosius and lordmarcovan like this.
  7. mcz0804a

mcz0804a Member

@rte Unfortunately my favorite liquor didn't exist yet :(

Its kinda cool to see how little typefaces changed between at least 1700 and early 1900's.

8. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

9. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

Yes. According to English Weapons & Warfare, 449-1660, by A. V. B. Norman and Don Pottinger, 1992 (orig. 1966), it was 2 chickens for a penny.

Draft saved Draft deleted