What could this 1891 coin be?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Thomas66, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Thomas66

Thomas66 New Member

Okay, so... I got this coin in a plastic wrapped sleeve with a paper that has a picture of Umberto I of Italy. It looks to be the same as the larger 5 lire Umberto I coin, but this one is really small and I'm not even sure of the metal. The coin itself is smaller than a US dime, so it's not like the 1891 5 lire coins that I've seen before.

This coin is dated 1891, but I have never seen a version of this coin so small. It is sealed in the sleeve that it was packaged in. Is this a replica? or something else. I have never seen something like this. Anyone have any idea what it is?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

4. Thomas66

Thomas66 New Member

Heavymetal, isn’t that a replica of the real one? That looks silver and bigger.

5. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Didn’t notice the size reference. Some replicas have been produced. I’ll look for more in the morning

6. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

I don't know for sure but it looks to me like one of those "World's smallest Gold Coins" - a series of "collectable" coins made by the likes of Westminster coins in the last 20 years. I have seen similar ones in facsimile of Mexican and Peruvian coins. Gold content is pretty low.

Chris B likes this.
  7. Thomas66

Thomas66 New Member

Paddy, it does look just like the coins from that collection. I just have never seen an 1891 5 lire coin in that series. It is cool though.

Draft saved Draft deleted