What could have caused this? 1942 d cent

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by longarm, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Tyler Graton

Tyler Graton Well-Known Member

Maybe someone used another copper coin, melted it down and used the other copper coin to solder on top of the wire. And the die cracks are actually a fine copper string left over from the tip of the device used to make this?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

There is no wire, it looks as though something cut into it and pushed the metal towards the top. What does look like "wire" is like a raised ridge running thru it, if you notice between the 4 and 2 it continues but it's not red like the rest. And it's incused towards the bottom and raised towards the top.

4. longarm

I've never seen a 2 with a tail like that on a '42 d before. 1942dOBV-6.jpg

5. Tyler Graton

Maybe send it to a cheap grading company to find out what is, I definitely want to know the answer lol.

6. Oldman4378

Oldman4378 Member

Looks like a bad soldering job to me I went in there after I saw this post yesterday and took my soldering gun and I made a coin look just like that looks like to me somebody had one too many or they were bored

7. longarm

Yeah, I'm thinking that I'll probably send it in to Ken Potter to see what he thinks, check out a couple of my other finds this week. rev-1.jpg rev-2.jpg

Tyler Graton likes this.
  8. Tyler Graton

Man I don't get how you guys find so many errors that are cool lol nice finds though couple good laminating errors right?

Draft saved Draft deleted