What constitutes "lower end" coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TomCorona, Mar 8, 2009.

1. TomCorona

TomCorona New Member

All points raised well taken. I personally would rather not have a couch I couldn't sit on, or a dog I couldn't pet. I don't guess coins, dogs, or couches are exactly the same when it comes to owning things of value, but I understand those wanting and getting better enjoyment with "the best" grades of coins. I guess "junk" coins are referred to strictly monetarily when folks use that term, and no , I don't mean to imply people are snobs (although I guess I kinda did... maybe I'm just jealous). I just don't like the term "junk" I suppose, being that I chose to spend a thousand dollars on what most would consider "junk" coins, but I guess better a thousand in junk coins than a thousand shares of AIG. Peace all and thanks for the responses. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

With me it depends on the coins. I have anywhere from po1's to ms coins in my various collections. I actually like my older bust coinage to have a little wear - plus it makes them affordable. Not sure if I will ever own a key date coin in the large cents - but I am buying better quality coins now a days. I try to buy as problem free as I can - just look at the 1806 over 5 bust quarter I posted, it is certainly not perfect - but I like it. As of now I do not plan on selling anything else - I might some of the duplicates on day, but I doubt it.

And no just because someone buys MS coins do I think them a snob. I like worn buff nickels as much as the ms coins. As a matter of fact I have several albums that are nothing but pocket change - including state quarters. I know I have a lot coins others would not own - but that does not bother me. To each their own. Just my opinion.

4. TomCorona

TomCorona New Member

I like that coin too Mark!

5. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Thanks - I like it also, but I doubt several other members would have paid as much as I did. I probably did pay more than it is worth, but that is okay.

6. TomCorona

TomCorona New Member

Hey..what they hey..I KNOW I paid too much for my stuff. That's ok though. 30,40 years from now, they'll be a bargain at the price (hopefully).

7. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

65 below is lower

65 above is higher

thats my definition. now by no means is it the right definition but thats how i look at my collection if we take some numbers out

8. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

It's like ordering a soft drink in a restaurant. Large means small and giant means meduim.

9. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

Junk is junk - supply and demand!

I guess the term "junk" seems confusing to me.

Junk is junk. Supply and demand!

Just hang around a coin shop for a few years and you will know the definition of junk - it's 90% of what walks through the door.
    Examples are 90% silver - circulated wheat cents - modern mint and proof sets - novelty items- HSN coins - and last but certaily not least "State Quarters".
    Now some of this may contain treasure or valuable items but it's not very likely. Plus you may (this is America) like or even desire that kind of stuff so it's treasure to you, right? But that is the junk as far as I'm concerned because it's the lions share of what people sell - most people are not as un-coined intelligent as they want you to think - they have shopped it around or went on eBay or got hold of a Red Book, (God forbid),
    So, why is it junk? everybody has it and nobody wants it, that's why.
    Now I understand what you are saying I think that why is there so much focus on mint state stuff verses other stuff that could be as valuable and important. It is the nature of the beast. Coin collecting is all about "looks and the things we see" so it is only natural that the mint state stuff often takes center stage, it's most often the most beautiful.
    On the other hand, go into any shop you want and ask them if they have one of these three coins - a 12-S Nickle in original VF-35, a Lincoln 22 no "D" in AU-50 or a 1927-S quarter in XF-40. Then after they laugh and say no they would like to have those ask them how many have they ever had in there shop? Or go to a show and do the same thing.
    Your point is valid and yes there is too much attention on mint state coins but be glad we have them and find the gems in any grade you chose that will make you happy - that's the bottom line. Don't worry about what all the others say and collect, find what you want so that it can be treasure to you no matter what the masses are saying or doing.
    If you are happy when you look at your collection and can't think but for a moment you would never really want to part with these coins your on your way to finding out what satisfaction is all about.

10. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

To be fair, there can't be a real deffinition of what is "junk" in the coin world. What I might call junk, others might not, and vice-versa. If you like to collect something, what difference does it make what someone else might call it? I've put together some really nice complete collections by sifting through the "junk" bin at my local coin shops. They're not MS by any means, but I don't much care for coins that have no history other than sitting in a bank bag or a vault for the past 150 years. Sure, they're pretty, but they've been nowhere, bought nothing, were held by nobody...pretty stale existence.

Collect what you like and don't worry about investor created lingo that have no real meaning in this hobby.
    Guy~

11. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

In the coin sense, "junk" doesn't mean that something has no value or should be thrown out with the garbage. It just means that something has no numismatic value - only melt value. It's too bad there isn't a more dignified name for it.

12. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

"Low end" is relative -- it means different things to different people.

That said, I'm not sure how the amount spent on a coin can be interpreted as "snobbish". I've certainly spent that much on a coins before, and I'd like to think of myself as anything but snobbish -- and I can get just as much joy out of a circulated coin as a top-pop (as my comments here and elsewhere can attest to).

Remember, beauty (and value) is in the eye of the beholder.

Respectfully...Mike

13. TomCorona

TomCorona New Member

here,here...I say Lovey, could you come soak my feet and bring me some bubbly whilst I dispose of these horrendous disgusting "junk" coins. Bring me my proofs, so I can feel the power of "the higher society". TATA

14. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

never heard of bullion?

15. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Possibly low end is a coin's condition to a professional type numismatist.
    But have you ever seen the look on a little kids face when he picks up a dirty, worn, beat up coin off the ground. To that kid there is no such terminology as low end.

16. weryon

weryon World traveler - In Thailand

to the kid there is no such terminology of anything outside the knowledge of bob the builder and spiderman , what's your point ? :pencil:

17. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Your making good points. Its a little blunt, but I don't care. Your right on accurate. That doesn't mean that I don't enjoy my junk.

Ruben

Draft saved Draft deleted