What Coin YouTube Channels Do You All Like Watching?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AncientNumis, Mar 29, 2022.

1. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

I thought YouTube is where people get the idea they can strike it rich from their change.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I don’t waste my time with them.

VistaCruiser69 likes this.
  4. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I read this thread back at the end of March and started watching Ben the coin geek. I have made it through more than 600 episodes or so. I have been going to OPC for at least 5 years, but had never talked with Ben prior. I have since talked with him several times. Utube has actually made me feel more at ease and as if I know Ben a little better and made him more approachable.

mikenoodle likes this.
  5. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I gotta check out the ACP then.

svessien likes this.
  6. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I can't let this thread go stale without mentioning one of my favorite "channels," although it's full history of videos are not viewable on YouTube, although it IS there now.

It is Coin Television by David Lisot.
    Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 8.36.09 PM.png

If you visit the Newman Numismatic Portal (NNP) and navigate here: https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/multimediadetail/522852 , you will be rewarded with years of video, nearly 2,000 numismatic videos in total!

To see other videos not listed in the above location also by Mr. Lisot, visit the Internet Archive and search "David Lisot Video Library."

For example, go to the NNP and choose the year 1986, and you can see great interviews with Clifford Mishler, Chester Krause, R.W. Julian, and Anthony Swiatek, among many other giants in U.S. numismatics. There are multiple interviews with many of these same people in the different years listed at the NNP. Of course, many of the people in these interviews have since passed.

I notice that people nowadays don't talk the way they used to when watching these interviews. People today, me included(!), sound less well-spoken and don't have as a large of a working vocabulary that these people did... I learn a "turn of phrase" or some new numismatic terminology every time I watch these.

Last week (Saturday, 8/20), I met David Lisot at the ANA Show in Chicago at his space there (right across from Matt Dinger's table!) and I told him how I enjoy watching his interviews with these old-timers and how his work has benefitted me through the knowledge and stories that David elicited from these people.

Mr. Lisot was obviously touched and told me that it was his great pleasure to have captured these interviews. I also detected from him a bit of sadness in that many of his good old friends in this field are now gone. It made me think about how it's going to be when most of my old friends are gone, too...

He then asked me about the book I was hawking (my Korean coin book), and then swung his camera around and turned on the square light above it and said, "How about an interview?" I had to think about it for a minute, but I said, "sure."

Mr. Lisot was an expert at this short form interview/ad, and he got me talking about the book on camera. Mr. Lisot himself is very well-spoken ("loquacious," as he said I was), and showed strong evidence that he has an intellect on par with pretty much any of those big brains in numismatics he's interviewed!

Please take some time to check out the David Lisot Video Library... It's well worth your time.

So I'll also be

BasSWarwick and mikenoodle like this.
  7. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Draft saved Draft deleted