What coin means the most to you

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by stainless, May 4, 2008.

1. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

In you collectin, what coin has the most sentimental value and you would never trade or sell it(unless you house is in stake or something similar).

mine is the 1997 ASE

stainless

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

The most sentimental coins I have are a few French coins my Great Uncle brought back from his tours during World War 1 when he served with the American Expeditionary Forces. They will always stay in my collection regardless. Their value may be small but they mean alot to me.

Robert91791, Two Dogs and LA_Geezer like this.
  4. wvrick

wvrick Senior Member

i have a silver dollar that my father carried in his pocket so long that you can hardly make any thing out on it . it is smothe as a you know what. no amount of money could buy it .

Robert91791, LA_Geezer and JPeace$ like this.
  5. Jonathon

Jonathon New Member

My Silver American Eagle set. My grandpa has given me one every year since i was born and I have the full set. I doubt i will ever sell them

Robert91791 and LA_Geezer like this.
  6. walterallen

walterallen Coin Collector

Those are beautiful coins. Your set should be priceless.

Allen

Two Dogs likes this.
  7. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

The subject has come up before. Heck, I posted it once but will always repeat the story.

My 1866 G-VG Two Cent Piece that my dad bought for me. He knew nothing about coins but would buy "weird" stuff for me. This is why I like type coins.

It's in the original 2x2 after nearly 40 years and will remain that way. I intend to be buried with that coin.

clembo

Robert91791 likes this.
  8. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

I moved to my current address in 1968 (I was 10 yrs old) and met a neighbor who has a coin collection. I thought it was worth millions , now i realise it was a fairly small one. I used to go to his house and buy/trade coins about once a week. Once he sold me 5 old dimes at face, 4 seated liberties and one was an 1830 bust, all were AG. He made me promise to keep them forever and I did and I have.

Robert91791 and LA_Geezer like this.
  9. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

1904 gold eagle, given to me when I made Eagle scout.

10. tjenkins_1983

tjenkins_1983 Numismaniac

My 1900-O Morgan PCGS MS65 that my dad gave me for my 21st birthday. It got me fired up to collect again seriously when I was in a rut.
    My 1911 Indian Quarter Eagle that my dad gave me for my 25th birthday. It's my first non-modern commemorative gold piece.
    My 1885-P Morgan NGC MS64 with die clashing and die cracks on both sides. It's a great example of the errors.

Robert91791 and SilverMike like this.
  11. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

Cool story!

12. rotobeast

rotobeast Old Newbie

13. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

my is my avatar. although the coin that means the most to me from a buy perspective is the 2 mohur coin (original) 1835 EIC in gem unc now that would be an aquisition

14. LSM

LSM Collector

Back in the early 70's my dad had a gas station in Mt. Airy Maryland on route 40. My dad would bring home all the sliver and odd coins to my mom and she would squirrel them away. Well long story short they decided to move back to South America. At the airport in South America the bag containing the coins was stolen :eek:. So there went the coins that I would have liked to have had. After a year in South America my parents decided to return to the US due to the fact that they where Americanized. So my mom assembled 2 Kennedy half dollar sets one for my sister and one for me and that Kennedy set will be with me for a very long time and I'm adding dates to the set.

I also have a 1883 Morgan dollar that was given to me back in 1963 by a tutor that I had. That's the coin that got me interested in collecting. :)

Lou

Robert91791 likes this.
  15. cherylkubucko

cherylkubucko Grandma Froggie

I can't say, I have one coin that is the most sentimental value. 1. One Troy Ounce from my ex father-in-law in 1977. 2. 2008 Five Dollar Gold Coin from my Stephen for not having breast cancer.

Attached Files:

Robert91791 likes this.
  16. CoinGal07

CoinGal07 Still Collecting

My 1849 D Gold Dollar.

17. casual coll

casual coll Junior Member

I would have to say my 2001, Don Bradman 20c.

Don Bradman (1908 - 2001) being the best ever Australian cricket player

Robert91791 likes this.
  18. ChrisB

ChrisB New Member

Hello all,

I have been lurking the site for awhile now and this seems like the perfect time for a first post. My Grandmother and my Mother got me collecting coins, They saved everything unusual they found and gave a lot of them to me when I was old enough not to spend them.

My favorite coins are 7 Morgan dollars that were recovered from my grandmothers house after it burnt to the ground in a gas explosion in 1971. All the copper-nickel coins were partially melted but all the silver survived with a nasty black soot that covered them. I dipped the coins and most of the black came off but I wanted some on there for character. All the coins sit in my Dansco album proudly with the mostly uncirculated set and I put an 1884 from the fire in the 1895 slot because it means more to me than a $50,000 coin I will probably never own.

Thanks for listening and thanks for a site with some great info.

19. jeankay

jeankay Coin Hoarder

The gold-plated 1883 Morgan my grandmother wore as a pendant.
    When I posted the Morgan in another topic area here as being the coin that 'I do not know why I have kept this', I forgot to mention the Morgan pendant was surrounded by thirty-nine very small natural rubies.

jeankay

20. jeankay

jeankay Coin Hoarder

Hi Rotobeast,

That 1924 Liberty you posted is mighty impressive, even without that plastic thing in which it is being held prisoner. teehee.

jeankay

21. rotobeast

rotobeast Old Newbie

Thank you.
    :)

My Grandfather gave it to me a few months before his passing.

Draft saved Draft deleted