What Coin Do You Want Most In 2022?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Jan 2, 2022.

1. corvusconstantius

corvusconstantius Active Member

I think for the Capta coin I want it explicitly tied to the siege, preferably having the word IVDAEA on it somewhere. I am aware that this will result in a marked quality decrease. Although, I've noticed Titus coins of almost any variety fetch a premium nowadays so I'll probably stick to Vespasian.

I agree with your assessment on Decius. Commodus is an interesting deification and would be an incredible addition. Septimius Severus is interesting because he's not classically Roman, being a military emperor from Africa. My theory about Severus Alexander is that he was chosen due to his fiscal responsibility (he tried to increase the purity of the aureus and denarius I think) and people perhaps fondly remembered the economic stability before the crisis. I haven't heard this theory anywhere else though so maybe there's a hole.

I wouldn't mind an Augustus for the sole reason that it hearkens back to a time that my collection doesn't actually cover which makes for an interesting narrative for the collection.

As for the travel series, all I'm after is a reclining figure. I like Africa and Egypt for this reason, Nilus is interesting to me also because that happens to be where Antinoos met his end.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be many of these types up for sale right now. I'm hoping it's a festive lull in the market!

The Alexandria coin you posted is wonderful. I haven't seen Green patina look so aesthetic before.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
Draft saved Draft deleted