What causes this on a coin?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Nannerz, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Nannerz

Nannerz Member

I just came across it, kinda brown red looks glazed and seems weird I just dont know what causes this if it was dipped in glue with dirt.
    Thank you community for any information

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Looks like dried adhesive on it. You can see where a part of it chipped off around 1-2 o'clock, right after TRUST.

4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Its not an error and appears to be dried glue.

5. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Just as you say. Someone had it in something sticky and it got gunk on it over time.

6. Nannerz

Nannerz Member

Sweet thank you so much for the help. Looked like a glazed donut but learning these things really helps. I appreciate it very much everyone!

furryfrog02 likes this.
  7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Looks like a possible "cup holder coin" that was in a cars cup holder and got stuff spilled on it, or it is just PMD, post mint damage. Certainly NAV, no added value IMHO. Might try a long soak and see if the gunk comes off. Just an experiment for fun, otherwise, spend it.

Inspector43 and Evan Saltis like this.
  8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The holder cup is a big maybe, especially if you have had a milkshake or ice cream cup as some manufacturers use Diethyl glycol (DEG) as a substitute for the presence of eggs, and it leaves a shine on where ever it dries. Don't eat cheap Ice cream without reading the label. IMO, Jim

Inspector43 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted