What causes these lines

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by justyn p, Jan 18, 2022.

1. justyn p

justyn p Active Member

What causes these lines on a coin and does the last digit 8 in 1988 look odd/lower down to anyone else ?

94A1EAD4-A6A1-49EA-A146-CCABBB58F767.jpeg 7F606911-5DFA-4ADE-BB81-1D46FD748E03.jpeg 413FB36F-AA39-4643-B748-45021DE8E69D.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I think the general consensus is that the lines on you coin are cause by the rollers that are employed to make the sheet of zinc the correct thickness before blanks are punched out of it. Zinc is a soft metal and easily marred if the rollers are not smooth. Some say these lines appear after the coin is struck and aged due to some reaction with the zinc under the plating and call them Linear plating blisters.
    It may be a bit of both.

GH#75 likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The lines are roller lines which are common and annoying. The 8 is normal.

5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Also plating issues on coins minted after 1982 are common and are actually considered damaged coins. Your lines are over the devices, so most likely a plating issue. Just my observation. I've been known to be wrong on several occasions. LOL

6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Me too, brother.

7. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

I believe it's not the planchet rollers,
    it's environmental damage that affected
    the copper plating.

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The problem with it being environmental damage is the lines tend to occur on both sides of the coin and they run in the same direction on both sides. To me this would seem to indicate it is following something in the surface of the original strip and I beileive the most likely thing would be stresses from the rolling. or surface imprefections left by the rolling.

9. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Conder, I don't see the 'lines' on the reverse photo.

Draft saved Draft deleted