What causes these black marks

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by justyn p, Jan 15, 2022.

1. justyn p

justyn p Active Member

What’s the cause of these black marks ?

E3E8185C-8DBB-46DA-B147-075319E0573E.jpeg 3A3017D5-0825-4E3C-BD17-6A84B9BA31B2.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Looks like it was hit with some chemical corrosive. Anyway, it’s not toning, and it’s not a mint error, so the question is really just a curiosity on the cause of post-mint damage.

paddyman98 and justyn p like this.
  4. justyn p

justyn p Active Member

yes buddy just making notes based on the expert advice I appreciate from CT members for future reference so I can work
    Through new boxes of coins quicker and avoid posting possibles errors on here
    Cheers for the reply

jamor1960 likes this.
  5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Our expertise, if you want to call it that, is we know what a mint error looks like. You ought to study up on it too if you’re going to be looking through boxes for them. It’s not rocket science. You know two and two makes four. Imagine if you had to commit to memory every single combination of numbers to know what they added up to. Wouldn’t it be easier to just learn addition? Same goes here. It wouldn’t hurt you none to learn before you look. First the book, then look. It’s an old maxim. And if it’s not, it ought to be.

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I'm glad that you are understanding and making notes!

Well it's better than those newbies who come here and tell us "you don't know anything" or "it has to be an error so you're wrong" or "You guys suck" ? o_O

AdamL and justyn p like this.
  7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Appears to be a bad case of Spotculitis, or The Black Plague.

On the other hand, the copper in the coin had a chemical reaction to something it came in contact with. What? No way to really know.

Please note that we, the United States, is not responsible for the condition of coins once they leave the U.S. LOL

Have you tried an acetone soak? Might help, but won't know until you try. Good luck and post your results please.

justyn p likes this.
  8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The black color on copper is usually cupric oxide. Copper has several different oxides with different colors. Wikipedia pages show them if you are interested. Jim

9. justyn p

justyn p Active Member

True they surfers outside the US the coin rolls came from a guy in Germany who has about 300 left @£5 a roll, most seem to be dated between 1909-1958. I might get a few more as it was a nice little coin roll hunt for a Sunday evening

10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Good golly, that seems steep ($6.84).

Draft saved Draft deleted