What causes discoloration like this?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by just_wondering, Apr 25, 2019.

1. just_wondering

just_wondering New Member

Hi everyone! I'm completely ignorant about coins, but I like to go through my change every now and then. (I have a low-value off-center penny from my childhood stashed somewhere...)

I came across this dime today, and while I figure it's more likely to be stained than a cladding error (it's got a bit of discoloration on the head as well), I was curious what would cause it to look like this. Thanks!

IMG_2089.jpg IMG_2088.jpg IMG_2090.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Lots of environmental factors can cause it. Heat is one. Sulfur is one of the chemicals which can react with the coin's metal. Ground minerals, if it has been on or in the ground, can be another. Since this one is only toned/discolored on one side, I'd say it was lying face down somewhere, with the reverse side up and exposed to the elements.

4. just_wondering

Very cool. Thank you!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

You could leave a coin exposed on a windowsill in direct sunlight for a long period of time and something like this could result, sometimes. Usually that's more common with silver coins, but copper-nickel clad coins like this dime can also react to the environment, of course.

And as a onetime metal detectorist, I can tell you that clad coins almost universally turn brown when they're buried, whereas silver ones usually come out of the ground nice and bright.

[​IMG]

Murphy45p likes this.
  6. just_wondering

I've definitely seen damaged coins that have come out all sorts of ways (usually black or brown, with the occasional multicolored penny), but this was a new one for me. Thanks for sharing your expertise and stories!

You also just reminded me of my brief but intense phase of metal detecting as a kid, so thank you for that as well!

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted