What caused this?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by C-B-D, Sep 12, 2014.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Got this shield nickel and it has a bunch of spikes protruding out of the "5" and two of the upper stars, as well. Anyone know how this happened? It doesn't look like clashing, and I've never seen a bunch of short die breaks like this. Thanks for the help!
    DSCN1316.JPG DSCN1318.JPG DSCN1322.JPG

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Probably a die clash, that was partly effaced

4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

So, maybe the shield lines from the obverse? Hmm. Interesting.

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I vote for deteriorated die, I think they cover a larger area than the lines on the shield.

BadThad likes this.
  6. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

I'm with Frank on the clash, is the reverse is rotated, that would shore it up as the lines seem to be at an angle

7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

The coin isn't rotated, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the dies didn't strike one another at a rotation without a blank in between. Do you suppose the dies could have clashed and then been realigned and continued to be used?

8. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

I do not feel that it's a die clash. The rotation, and it effects the stars too. The obv and rev do not seem to line up, as others have stated. The planchet must have had a problem before coining on one side.This could have been the problem.

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I've seen this frequently on shield nickels from various dates. I think it it is the result of some heavy handed work done on the dies. It must have been done fairly early in the life of the die as the longacre doubling on the 5 and some of the stars is still strong.

Draft saved Draft deleted