What caused this damage

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Bryan Dillard, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Bryan Dillard

Bryan Dillard Active Member

Interesting damage the obverse damage doesn't occur on date looks like it was struck over the damage, the same occurs on the reverse 20200813_125803.jpg 20200813_125746.jpg

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

The mark on the Reverse (from the center of the Memorial to the top of [C]ENT) looks like a die crack to me.

Assuming the vertical marks to the right of the Memorial and the marks on the Obverse that run through the date are raised, they look like die cleaning scratches to me. I don't know how a die can get scratched like that just by wiping it off, but apparently it can.

Bryan Dillard likes this.
  4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I agree with die cleaning lines. The dies can get abraded quite harshly to remove encrusted debris. Really not sure on the reverse, line under memorial looks to thick for a die crack. Could be more abrading.

Bryan Dillard likes this.
  5. Bryan Dillard

Are those cuds on Lincoln's eye, earlobe and jawline

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You mean Die Chips.

Cuds are Die Breaks that start on the Rim and go into the field. These are Cuds..
    20171206_174137-1.jpg 1970SCUD.jpg Capture+_2019-11-05-07-49-37.png Capture+_2019-10-15-00-25-55.png

yakpoo likes this.
  7. Bryan Dillard

Sorry I meant to say die chip, wasn't sure but thought it may have die chips.

Draft saved Draft deleted