What caused this damage to a mint-sealed dime?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by stldanceartist, Feb 28, 2021.

1. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

When is this thread going to end? :inpain:
    It's just Sealing machinery damage :hilarious:
    Done, end of story, finito.. :confused:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Well, I for one appreciate the extra explanations and information. Too often here a response is two or three words and comes across as a canned response (PMD being one example, although to be fair often that is a question that has a really simple/straightforward answer.)

As someone who doesn't know what shape the tool that sealed the 1974 mint sets was, I appreciate all the extra explanation and information that helps the answer "make sense."

Just my two cents.

4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

To save their job. Oops. Oh well, I'll just seal it in another package and move on.

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. paddyman98

Or maybe that's what they were to to do.. Present a good looking package of coins. If you mess up on 1 sealed set then do it over again.

6. stldanceartist

This might be a stupid question - but is "sealing machinery damage" technically a mint error, or "pseudo-post-mint-damage"

john65999 likes this.
  7. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

"SMD" is a packaging error, not a mint striking error, imo.

john65999 and Kentucky like this.
  8. buckeye73

buckeye73 Well-Known Member

I am late to the party, but Fred’s explanation of damage was what initially came to mind.

9. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

If done at the mint it would be a doubled strike then

10. paddyman98

Nope..The word Doubled is only used when reffering to Doubled Die Varieties.. A planchet struck more than once is a double strike. ;)

Cheech9712 likes this.
  11. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Damn it

12. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

i actually bought one for 10.00 before i realized just damage, either by the mint's crimper or afterword, i am a bit teed off, lol wish i had seen this article and the other posted earlier on

13. stldanceartist

Well, that's kind of Reason #2 why I posted mine - first, to educate myself and second, to potentially help others.

To partially quote the famous words of Monty Python's The Bishop, I was "TOO LATE."

(Sorry about Youtube's stupid ads)

john65999 likes this.
  14. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

i bought the coin and the very next day i saw a post about the cent, then yours, lol too late, and i figured since was my mistake, and the vendor was not misleading, it was my dumb-ass that bought the thing, so lesson learned...

JCro57 likes this.
  15. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

I agree with @Fred Weinberg

The spacing between the obverse markings matches the distance between the "pseudo-perforations" of the sealer markings.

Here is how it happened likely:

1. At the time of contact with the sealer, the dime was way over to the side where the sealer would normally make contact.

2. Seeing the sealer only made contact with the dime along its outer rim, the pressure caused the dime to skid over (just like how a bar of soap squirts out of your hand) back into its proper "bubble". Thus the contact wasn't made where the dime is shown in the photos; it was along the periphery of the sealer marks, and the skidding explains the "lines" rather than the "circular patterns" seen along the sealed edge of the plastic.

3. As for the marks on the reverse, upon striking just the outer rim of the dime, it caused the dime to raise slightly and was therefore now not sitting perfectly flat as the sealer made contact with it; the dime was tilted a bit. This further explains why the obverse pattern consists of short, linear, longer, and equally-spaced markings. On the reverse side, it likely made contact with the edge of the sealer - not the flat side which would be perforated - which would leave a long, uninterrupted linear indent as seen on the reverse.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    stldanceartist likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted