What Caused These Damages?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JeffC, May 14, 2019.

1. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

What I like most about CoinTalk is the technical information I read, especially regarding causes of certain types of damages. I have two examples of damages that I have questions about.

Firstly, this is a 2019 BU Mexican Libertad. I bought "A" and due to the "gouches" I was able to return it for an exchange. When "B" came, I noticed it had the same types of damage and in the same locations! I'm curious as to what caused the "X" and "Y" types of damage behind and beneath her left foot. I know it can't be circulation wear. Are these so-called "bag marks", but wouldn't those be random? (Sorry - I do not have the obverse of these pieces to post because I've already sent them back. These photos are what I shared with the seller before I returned them.)
    20190513_220928.jpg
    20190416_163301 (2) copy.jpg

And here's my second question for this Capped Bust Half Dollar. The points of the stars closest to the rim seem to be elongated to such an extent that they touched the rim. Did this happen during circulation and if so, how?!! Or did this happen during minting and, if so, what in the minting process caused it? I looked at other similar coins on ebay, and I noticed that quite a number has this same condition.

20190513_220315.jpg

Looking forward to your responses and insights! And thanks to all the "expert technicians" here!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Don't know about the Libertads, but the elongated stars on the bust half are due to die erosion. You will often also see it on the date and on the reverse lettering.

cpm9ball likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@JeffC

Those marks would normally be considered bag marks with "x" being a hit from the reeded edge of another coin, but it seems too coincidental that two different coins would have practically the same marks. I have a feeling that the seller tried to pull a "fast one" on you. How well do you know the seller?

Chris

352sdeer likes this.
  5. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I don't know anything about LIbertads but it does look like bag marks on both.
    The one on the left the marks go up through the dress in 2 lines which exists on the right one too.

It looks like the same coin just with different lighting & image perspective (A is shot from a lower perspective).

upload_2019-5-14_13-13-47.png upload_2019-5-14_13-14-5.png

6. JeffC

I've had very good experiences with them in the past. PROVIDENT METALS. But now I'm scratching my head (and feeling a bit foolish), maybe they DID send me back the same piece. But if so, I don't think it was intentional. Once, in the past, they've graciously exchanged a coin that I bought even though I, MYSELF, scratched it. If it's the same piece, then the "bag marks" explanation makes sense.

7. JeffC

I'm beginning to feel you guys are right. Perhaps it is the same coin. Well, that makes the answer to my question much simpler. Thanks!

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Call them and explain the problem to a "live body"!

Chris

JeffC likes this.
  9. JeffC

Thanks @cpm9ball and @Clawcoins . So the answer to #2 is "die erosion" and to #1 is "bag marks". As to the mystery of why they occurred at the same location for two "different" coins..... NEVERMIND!!! Hahahaha. Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted