What area(s) of numismatics bore you the most?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by joecoincollect, Oct 24, 2014.

1. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Without going to the more obscure areas of exonumia, I'll discuss some areas I don't care much for. First, paper currency. Some of the world currency art is nice, but I still haven't gotten into this collecting nor do intend to do so. At coin shows, there are always fewer paper money dealers, which seems to indicate lesser interest. Second, ancients. I have about two dozen holdered Romans and a few Greeks, but I just find the whole ancient collecting area overwhelming because of all the issues and centuries and centuries of history you have to understand somewhat. Current events/more recent history is perplexing and time consuming enough. Lastly, I get bored from the earlier US coin issues, namely the 1800s. This is mainly because these coins are expensive for me and I get tired of just reading about it all. I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm just thinking aloud, speaking freely. By the way, I mostly collect world coins in the 1900s, the silver and base metal coins. I also like US Barber coinage; common date, Vf and higher silver dollars, and a few other things

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

US coins now. boring. bring back liberty as the design. I collect mostly world coins. world coins are so much more interesting design/artistic wise to me.

4. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I agree. I'd much rather have lady liberty back as well. I saw this new one ounce platinum design with a young liberty girl on one side and the Statue of Liberty on the other. I think they blew it because the young girl is drawn to modernly, if that makes sense. I'd rather see it drawn so it has that older, more timeless depiction of liberty that you see on the older coins. I don't know if what I'm talking about is Art Deco or whatever they call it, but the modern US circulating coins and commems just lack aesthetic appeal that you see on the older coins. But these older ones are out of my budget, so I'll stick with world coins for sure

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

older coins rule.

Chiefbullsit likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

1. Those I can afford.

2. Those I can't afford.

Chris

joecoincollect and Amanda Varner like this.
  7. bearze34

bearze34 Active Member

I really don't have any desire to collect paper money either. I have tried to like it but it just doesn't do it for me. Another thing that I find really uninspiring is 70's thru 90's mint sets and proof sets. I kind of liken them to having an 80's Corvette. Overpriced at the point of sale, inferior quality, and when you open the hood there isn't much to talk about.

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

9. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

10. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

I agree with Frank, moderns and bullion. I'm not knocking them bc there are some nice modern coins out there, just not my cup of tea. I sold all my modern stuff a few years back and bought a Large Cent.

Add Ebay to the list also. Man, that place will put you to sleep.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    Mainebill, BigTee44 and Galen59 like this.
  11. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

U.S coin grading as interpretated by the TPG priesthood bore me.

12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I don't think bored is the right word here, but I'm not really interested in collecting errors. Errors that are obvious are cool such as (not sure on terminology) chain struck, severe doubling like the 1955 cent, etc. I can't get excited by searching obscure varieties that require a microscope. The varieties of large cents and VAMS are another thing I'm not interested in collecting but I do like reading about it a little. Oh, coin roll hunting is something that I don't think I could handle.

torontokuba and joecoincollect like this.
  13. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

The endless quibbling over minor differences in grades, which isn't even numismatics in my book. Major yawn.

14. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Vams, varietys and errors. Just not interested.
    Modern proofs. Yuck!
    Ms70's. Boring
    Modern mint products. Just awful.
    Junk silver. I wish somebody would just melt it all.
    Coin roll hunting. Boring
    Tpg's special labels. Pointless.

15. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

"Properly cleaned coins.

torontokuba likes this.
  16. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

US coins after 1964.

17. BostonCoins

BostonCoins Well-Known Member

I think I would throw out there Graded Coins in general... All of the "Look at the monster toning" threads... Good lord people.. Most of those coins look hideous! Rainbow toning? Reminds me of an oil slick on water... Ugly as sin IMHO!

When you start looking at the graded coins MS64.. MS65.. MS67.. MS70... Yeah.. Sorry.. My eye sight isn't good enough to see the difference once its in my hand... Yawn... Bring on a nicely worn Large Cent...

18. cpm9ball

Make everything PO1 and he's happy!

Chris

19. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Coins that are declared as first strikes -- what a commercialized joke

20. cpm9ball

Actually, the joke is the suckers who fall for this. If nobody bought them, they wouldn't be on the market.

Chris

21. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I agree with JA over the minor grades when it comes to moderns.

I also dont care about VAMs and all that silly die stuff. So what. Without looking with magnification, its still the same design, just maybe with a die crack or something extra that isnt worth howling about.

Roll searching, very time consuming and too much work for most of the time, little value.

Love many U.S. coin designs, before presidents went on them, but I do find them boring after all these decades of collecting.

At least with ancients, there may be a ton to learn but that is what makes it enjoyable. It did seem overwhelming at first but in a few months, I learned alot to lose that feeling.

mikenoodle and joecoincollect like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted