What are your thoughts on this Walker & how much would you say it's worth?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Tuco, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Tuco

Tuco Active Member

I've pulled 3 Walkers in bad shape CRHing and now would really like to buy an affordable MS one maybe around 64. What do you guys who like to collect them look for with these and how would you assess this one?

42a.jpg 42b.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I'd say those pictures are way too dark to tell you anything about that coin. The NGC cert verification has better pictures: https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/3891692-015/64/

The first question - what do you consider "affordable"? That varies from person to person. Based on the coin you posted, are you shooting for a $50 price limit? $100? More? Telling us your actual budget will help narrow down what to look for.

The things I look for in a Walker:
    - Luster
    - Eye Appeal
    - Strike

That coin appears to have a decent amount of all three. You'll tend to get a little better with a 65, which can easily be had for under $100 for many dates.

You want nice, swirling luster. A dull Walker is kinda ugly. Similarly, you want it to have a nice patina. The one shown appears to have decent eye appeal. The strike is hard to judge on the coin you have posted, but in general you want to make sure that details like the skirt lines are all present. Very well struck coins will show a full outline of her hand and thumb, but it will take a bit more work to locate one like that.

ldhair, Tuco and ripple like this.
  4. Tuco

Tuco Active Member

Thanks psysics! I was thinking around $50 for a first one, then maybe adding some better ones as I go along.

5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Obviously I don't know your situation, but if you can stretch just a little bit for a 65, I think you'll be happier. A 64 is nice, but a 65 really is worth it. Most dates a 65 can be had for under $100.

Take a look here for some nice ones at auction: https://www.greatcollections.com/se...s=48&q=&denomination[]=12&frombid=0&tobid=500

Tuco likes this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

physics said it well and in the same order I decide on a coin.

Nice luster really brings out how great the Walker design is. Be picky on the luster.

Eye Appeal for me is a coin with really pretty toning. Some don't care for toning and that's fine. I love blast white Walkers as well.

With strike, I like nice skirt lines with as few hits in the lines as possible.

Tuco likes this.
  7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

When I was a dealer, I liked some of the MS-64 graded pieces better than some of the MS-65s. The bid on the MS-65 coins dropped big time when I was a dealer. Part of the reason was some disappointing grading and addition to corrections caused by too many “investment coin” promotion.

Tuco likes this.
  8. Tuco

Tuco Active Member

Thanks guys! I'm watching some 64s & 65s at greatcollections now focusing on luster. I prefer toning a little over blast white.

longshot likes this.
  9. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

First, I like you're choice of MS64. As stated already, most of the dates needed to complete a short set in your target range can be had from between 50 and 100. Some a bit above, but very doable on a budget with a little patience. Most importantly, the key date 1938d isn't all that bad at around 250-300 in a nice AU55/58. All said, you'll have an awesome and consistent looking set when done.

Tuco and longshot like this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You can do better so just be patient!

Tuco likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted