What are your pet peeves buying coins on eBay.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

It's graded MS66 by PCGS but it's really a MS67.

No returns.

Reserve auctions.

Modern coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Sellers who put KEY DATE in the title of every coin they sell. I suppose I should just get over it, sell all but one of my 1922 Peace keys, and retire on the proceeds.

4. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

1 - BIN's for coins that are obvious over the top sucker bait.
    2 - stock photos of proof sets that always appears to have eye dropping cam's in them.

5. Danr

Danr Numismatist

As a seller I like to do 30 day BIN asking top dollar. After paypal and ebay fees you have to get top dollar. Keep in mind when you see BIN's with high prices that the seller has to pay a ton of fees out of that money.

6. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

Party at your place?

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Actually $50 was realistic for this coin. Their price was not only unreasonable, but the fact that they were unwilling to come down any shows they should never have offered a "Make An Offer" option.

8. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Simply my Biggest ebay pet peeve is when I pay out $5 for shipping and the Sorry SOB ships my nifty new "au" coin to me in a regular letter envelope. (these people should be shot!)

9. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

Yes, I don't understand it either. Why offer to negotiate if you are not willing to? Sometimes it is difficult to determine what to charge. You have the guides but many times these are no good. I checked many BIN prices and looks like many want to get Numismedia + shipping and sometimes several dollars more to cover their fees. It doesn't work that way when you charge full retail, there are always overhead prices. If you say you are willing to come down, then you should be willing to. I don't care if someone overcharges, nobody buys it and that is the end of that. I just don't like when they have 5 pages worth of coins all overpriced and I have to do a special search just to omit their listings.

10. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I do a lot of coin shopping on ebay so I won't rain on the parade. I think it is nice to find coins that I've been wanting for years without the need to leave my home. I like the pic's and the descriptions that are usually shown. It allows me to compare the photos with known fakes by using google or this site or somewhere else. If you pressed me for the downside, I don't particularly like being sniped at the last second. I know that it shouldn't bother me, but it still does a little. I'm winning with 3 seconds left and then sniped out of left field. Darn those guys. I suppose to be ruining their parade.

11. scott490

scott490 Member

I agree with Phil that the Ebay buying experience is largely positive. I think if you told me back in 1987 that there would one day be this online bazaar of thousands of coins and you could buy any of them by pressing a few buttons, and they would arrive in your mailbox 3 days later, I'd have wept with joy. And then insisted you transport me into the future.

But if pressed, I would have to say my key gripe is sellers who don't pay the extra 75 cents to activate the "mouse over image" function. Instead they use one of those third party photo hosting services that give you the pic but not close ups. There's no reason to use those services any more...they stink. Mouse over is by far the best way to see the coin's surface!

12. txguy

txguy Active Member

People who click shipped a second after you paid. That's a fast drop off time.

13. chip

chip Novice collector

I once had a pet peeve, but it slipped its leash and I have not seen it since.

I did not go around the neighborhood putting up lost pet posters, I do not even miss it.

14. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

When you print a shipping label on E-Bay, it automatically marks the item as shipped and uploads the tracking number in the E-Bay software. But I can understand how outstanding customer service like processing your order right after you paid would annoy you.:rolleyes:

15. txguy

txguy Active Member

Oops. I was referring to those who don't use tracking.

16. easj3699

easj3699 Well-Known Member

this is about selling and not buying but when people bid on your stuff for less then face or melt value irritates me

17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

On the other hand, I'm irritated by junk-silver sellers who think I should pay melt plus 10% plus shipping on a lot so they can get melt value after fees. Actually, I don't really get irritated -- I simply move on to the next listing.

18. easj3699

i agree. thats why i stopped selling junk on ebay, i would get 3 or 4 times less then melt so it wasn't worth it. my favorite was something for .99 cents with 34.99 shipping

19. icculus

icculus Member

One I've noticed lately. Pre '65 90% sellers who, I guess, don't understand the concept of a troy oz and think that $1.20 face = 1 ounce instead of $1.40. If you're going to market it as an ounce of silver then I'll be wanting the other 2 dimes.

20. John14

John14 Active Member

I like to search listings to find people selling their whole coin collection. This tactic sometimes pays off because the coins won’t come up when other bidders search for “Morgan”, “Silver Coin” ect... But when I type “coin collection” in the search bar, I have to sift through all these listings with grab-bags, non-precious junk foreign coins, graded pennies, clad quarters, worthless vials of gold/silverdust...

21. easj3699

i always like messing with those sellers. i ask them if the oz is silver weight or coin weight. most say coin

Draft saved Draft deleted