What are your 2019 collecting goals?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Jan 1, 2019.

1. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

After seeing @jamesicus posting about his collecting goals I thought it would be interesting to see how everyone else is doing towards theirs. I've updated mine below.
    1. Buy Good VF or better for common silver types where possible. So far so good
    2. Add at least one more victoriatus rarity, symboled or uninscribed. Done. I actually exceeded my goal a little by adding two new rarities and upgrading one existing coin.
    3. Buy at least 2 attractive fully-anonymous bronzes. This is somewhat subjective but I consider myself only halfway there so far. On track but not quite done yet.
    4. Add at least 5 relevant auction catalogues to my library. Done. I've added Credit Suisse 5, NAC E, 9, 10 and H and Sternberg 5 and 32
    5. Finish reading History and Coinage of the Roman Imperators. Not done yet but it's in the queue.
    6. (Stretch goal) Buy at least one coin that I don't know exists today(December 30, 2018). Done. This week I managed to buy a coin that helped satisfy this goal as well as #2. Hope to share it sometime in the next few weeks.

So how are you guys doing towards your goals now that we're another third of the way through the year since this post was last updated?

Justin Lee and Chris B like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

My Jan 1. post:

More of the 12 Caesars - I'd like to get Tiberius (tribute penny) Caligula (as or sestertius), Claudius (billon tetradrachm), Otho (denarius).

I'm done with the 2nd century unless I find some cool and unusual Alexandrian types (drachms, diobols, tetradrachms).

Diadumenian, Hostilian, Saloninus, Etruscus, Aemilian, Carus, Carinus, Florian, Tacitus, Nigrinianus would enable me to complete the 3rd century (oops - need Quietus too, already have a Macrianus). I'm done with the 4th century.

I may start collecting Ptolemaic coins as well, those hockey pucks are awfully appealing and I don't have one yet.

Gold - either a late empire or Byzantine solidus to break into the gold collectors' club.

Well, I got an Etruscus, Hostilian, Valerian II, a Commodus tetradrachm, a Carus, a DIVO CLAVDIO type (Claudius II). Maybe I'll end up with a Claudius as well. Still need Florian and Tacitus...I'll probably buy 5-6 more coins before the end of the year, maybe more.

4. Blake Davis

Blake Davis Well-Known Member

I had forgotten that I had responded to this post much earlier. As far as finding Septimius Severus sestertii from: IMP X, IMP XI, IMP XII, - no luck this far. I have unfortunately been buying coins outside of my collecting interest, or coins for which I have no need simply because they are a good deal. BTW where are the new collectors? I see very few new people - I have no idea why.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  5. Blake Davis

20,000? Are there enough collectors to absorb that many? Perhaps the prices will drop - I cannot believe that if that many coins come to market the prices will stay the same....

6. Blake Davis

7. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I noticed that I never added a post about my 2019 goals (I probably didn't have them figured out that early in the year lol). Here's what I've noticed myself doing:
    • Collecting coins related to the Punic Wars (or some pre/post too), so Carthage, Iberian, Sicily (and other islands), and Roman.
    • Been focusing more on Sestertii within the 5 "Good" Emperors and beyond (military emperors).
    • Alexandrian Tets
    • And some various early-ish silver coins
    And I've paused on my previous focus on Roman Antiochene coinage.

red_spork likes this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Lookin’ forward to your posts!

Justin Lee and red_spork like this.
  9. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Well, I did some of these things. I acquired many lifetime issues of Faustina I and with veiled busts. Unsuccessful in my quest for left-facing busts. I bought several provincial coins I found interesting.

I also developed a mania -- inexplicably -- for Trebonianus Gallus and Volusian coins. I started working on subcollections of Julia Mamaea and continued to work on Faustina II.

Didn't seek out many Lupa Romana or Gallienus zoo coins after being sidetracked by other things.

It's been a fun year so far!

Orfew and red_spork like this.
  10. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

I had to look back at my answer. I have definitely focused the collection and jettisoned many unwanted pieces bringing my total collection from around 1,000 to 400 coins. Sold many, but gave others to budding numismatists. I acquired a beautiful proof mercury dime as well as three XF classic head half cents. Been a very busy year!

Roman Collector likes this.
  11. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Man, I have been pathetic this year...

The two specific coins I lost on, and those are unlikely to show up again. I have nabbed 3 crude Normans, and a Richard The Fearless, but nothing else.

12. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

So far this year has been quite good. I have added 15 new coins and replaced or upgraded 35 others. Out of this group were 16 Greek (seven of which are new) and 34 Roman (eight of which are new). The new coins are all over the map. A few are of the category of "I would like this coin but never thought I would own one" however at least three were coins that I was actively searching for.I have featured some of these coins in my posts recently so here are a few that are new.
    Faustina Snr Aureus RIC 394c(a) Rv Pietas stg l sacrificing over altar 7.24 grms 19 mm faussnrau3.jpg Brutus Denarius Cr 506/2 Obv Head of Apollo r rv.Military trophy 42 B.C. 3.77 grms 18 mm 506-a.jpg Ptolemy I Ar Tetradrachm Sv 176 Lorber CPE 74 Obv Head of Alexander III wearing elephant skin headdress Rv Athena adv r. 306-300 B.C. 15.75 grms 27 mm Sv176-2ptI.jpg

13. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

I am currently assembling 2 volumes (binders) of Roman Imperial coins and my goal for this year is to finish the second volume (Aemilian to the Theodosian dynasty) first. However, I want to upgrade the majority of coins that I do have in that volume and have also been distracted by unanticipated findings for volume 1, or the occasional Greek/Byzantine/Republican coin.

It remains to be seen whether I achieve my goal.o_O

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Roman Collector likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted