What are your 2019 collecting goals?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I will add interesting coins to my 12 Caesars collection. My other 2 goals are to add coins to my other 2 collections: The family of Eleanor of Aquitaine and Historical Figures dramatized by Shakespeare.

I am also starting another collection for which I already have some interesting coins: historical women. This would include women referenced on the coins and coins issued under the authority of women.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

Both are in the mail right now, so I my collecting goal for this year is achieved and I will have to move on :).

4. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

We're a full month into 2019.
    What milestones have all of you achieved as laid out in this thread?
    For me January as been nuts! In a good way of course, but let's just say I am most of the way to completing my 2019 goals (not to mention budget).

I'm going to try to slow down.. only buy coins that have a legit shot at being in my top 10 all time (Cut back on impulse purchases, NO regrets with recent additions)

Reel in the spending (Didnt happen) and dont lose track of my other investment goals. I tend to get obsessed with things and need to learn to moderate, this is the long game.
    As for the particulars..

1) A mind-blowing celtic imitation of a Philip of Macedon Tetradrachm, Zopfreiter type or other.

(Not yet, but have acquired a couple of very satisfying celtic Staters in late 2018/ early 2019. This goal will be my toughest coin to find, and I may be priced out if 'the one' is TOO nice and a likeminded individual with deeper pockets covets it)

2) 1 or 2 higher end Tetradrachms

(1 of 2! As of today I am the proud owner of a tetradrachm I would very much consider to be high end. Not competing with @TIF's anytime soon but this will likely be the most beautiful coin in my collection for a looooong time to come. If this is the only higer end Tetradrachm I buy in 2019, thats ok)

[​IMG]

3) Janiform heads

(Done! Proud owner of a Roman Republican Quadrigatus which I eyed up for MONTHS, eventually wearing down the seller to an acceptable price. Good size for the type at 24.5mm)

Quadrigatus.jpg

4) Big beefy bronzes with good patina and contrasting color.

(Done! I am mostly a silver coin aficiando, and after recieving some very pleasing Turkoman bronzes and Roman Provincials in the mail, I am happy.)

5) TBD, I'll know it when I see it.

(Done? My Mask of Silenus and L. Cornelius Lentulus Crus/C. Claudius Marcellus plate coin fit the bill. If 2019 ended tomorrow I'd be more than happy with these quirky gems. If another 'character coin' comes up at a reasonable price its going straight into my cart. Curiosities are my jam.)

[​IMG]
    silenos1.jpg

6) Organize and catalog my collection and get a proper display case.

(1 of 2; Adhoc display case is working out great, at total cost of $0. Starting to look into online presentation with cataloging and proper photos)

IMG_3090 (1).JPG

7) Sell off anything that doesnt inspire me

(Have about a dozen coins I have emotionally parted ways with. It's not them, its me... Time to explore some selling venues. Any recommendations from the CT crew?)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  5. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

I just want my mojo back. That is my collecting goal for 2019. Mojo boosting coins whatever they may be.

Alegandron and Theodosius like this.
  6. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I lost my bid on a specific coin I had targeted. At the end of internet bidding, I was in the lead by a decent margin, but the coin went to someone else for an extra £20 during the live auction. Disappointing, but on to other things.

panzerman likes this.
  7. Blake Davis

Blake Davis Well-Known Member

Just found this, but even though it is April I thought I would post something:
    I had one overriding goal - to find a sestertius of Septimius Severus from his "ultra rare" period ca. 201 - 208 AD, second to find another IMP X sestertius of Septimius just because the coins are so fascinating. I would also like to get another travel sestertius of Hadrian. None so far, but I am scouring the listings.

Alegandron likes this.
  8. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I will add interesting coins to my 12 Caesars collection.

I have added some great coins to my 12 Caesars sets.

My other 2 goals are to add coins to my other 2 collections: The family of Eleanor of Aquitaine and Historical Figures dramatized by Shakespeare.

I am also starting another collection for which I already have some interesting coins: historical women. This would include women referenced on the coins and coins issued under the authority of women.

I have abandoned my other collections and decided to sell them off to finance my 12 Caesars coins. Most of my coins apart from the 12 Caesars have been consigned to a single auction which takes place next month. There are a few that I have kept, but the rest will find good homes.

9. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

I guess the results for me are a bit mixed. NYINC and the auctions were good I got some coins some really nice ones but mostly not the ones I was hoping to get. However I did get some key coins a couple which I thought I would never own. I also got to replace an important coin with a better one
    1. Alexander I Octodrachm
    2. Seleukos I Tetradrachm Susa mint
    3. Trajan Denarius Via Traiana reverse alexanderIocto2.jpg SKseleukosI-2.jpg trajand6.JPG

Theodosius, Aidan_(), Sardar and 11 others like this.
  10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Sorry I missed this thread as well.

Goals for the year? Buy coins! Whatever, whenever I feel like. Its just a hobby, with no preset goals in mind. Just enjoyment. I have enjoyed myself so far, so I guess mission accomplished. I bought some coins, lost others I wanted, so par for the course. :)

11. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

I have completed my Adoptive Emperor Sestertii set (way ahead of schedule) - with a couple of changes... I had to settle for a dupondius of Nerva (due to financial constraints) but I really love the coin so I am at peace with the decision.

I also added sesterii of Aelius Caesar and Lucius Verus - not in the plan initially but fully explain the era... and ended with a beautiful Commodus that sort of puts a bookend to the set- so while the coins are modest I am really happy to have a achieved my goal and own these wonderful coins.

collageADOPTIVE.jpg

I am currently working on retrofitting an old coin cabinet I picked up...this will keep me busy all summer ...
    My new long term goal is to own coins from Augustus up to Commodus in bronze.
    So still in the market for quite a few .. but in no hurry.

12. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

These were my 2019 goals posted in another thread and how my progress has gone towards those goals
    1. Buy Good VF or better for common silver types where possible. So far so good
    2. Add at least one more victoriatus rarity, symboled or uninscribed. Not yet, though I did add one more common Victoriatus
    3. Buy at least 2 attractive fully-anonymous bronzes. Not yet
    4. Add at least 5 relevant auction catalogues to my library. Done. I've added Credit Suisse 5, NAC E, 9, 10 and H and Sternberg 5 and 32
    5. Finish reading History and Coinage of the Roman Imperators. Not done yet but it's in the queue
    6. (Stretch goal) Buy at least one coin that I don't know exists today(December 30, 2018). Not yet

Severus Alexander likes this.
  13. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Well, we are close to Easter, still snow on ground here:(

I have so been bombed out on most of my original 12 goals. Only succeeded so far in getting an AV Stater from the Kings of the Bosphorus (M. Aurelius/ L. Verus/ Eupator) CNG Triton. I have 8 1/2 months left.....not looking good. Seems, auction records are being smashed, not enough supply to satisfy demand:inpain:. One coin, I would add to my 2019 list, an English AV Noble from Edward III Post Treaty Period Noble in MS-64. However, I did pick up a few really nice coins to compensate for the losses.
    John

14. Terence Cheesman

Today I got one of the coins I have been searching for for a while. After reading le Riders book " Alexander the Great Coinage, Finances, and Policy" in English translation i discovered that the coins of Philip II which are dated 340/336 -328 B.C. are all most likely posthumous minted 336-328 B.C. So needless to say I went out and got a lifetime stater from the mint of Pella dated 345-336 B.C. Current scholarship has really overturned what we used to know about the coinage of Philip II and his son Alexander III. So this year I managed to get one of the coins I really wanted 4882511l.jpg

15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very very nice Stater, Terence. This is a target for me, and you have an excellent example. Gorgeous coin. Congrats on the find! Personally, I prefer “lifetime” issues because they edify the history of the individual or the entity in a true perspective, vs. a commemorative or posthumous issue.

16. Terence Cheesman

I do too. However when it comes to the Macedonian Kings Philip II and Alexander III this problem becomes really acute. The Philip II re attributions are fairly straightforward. However the lifetime coins of Alexander especially the gold is a real nightmare.

17. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

I always have a running list of coins I would like to get and try to acquire 2-3 of those a year as they are generally expensive and II hav to save up a bit in order to purchase them. But, my goal this year as in every year is to focus the collection and jettison some of the accumulations I've made. This often means reselling coins I bought I thought I wanted but didn't!

18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Lol, no, none of this abandonment stuff! You need to DONATE them to the Alegandron Collection of Wayward and No Longer Loved Ancient Coins. :). Especially since many of your collecting interests were very interesting to me! :D

red_spork likes this.
  19. DANIEL HENRIQUEZ

DANIEL HENRIQUEZ Active Member

Completing the Eisenhower dollars is great and easier than many would expect. That said, I would suggest you ensure you collect ONLY the best specimens you can find at reasonable prices. I have the entire set and believe these are true gems. Have fun.

20. DANIEL HENRIQUEZ

DANIEL HENRIQUEZ Active Member

Well everyone, I have noticed the US coin industry is achieving near perfect specimens in their collector coins therefore, I still collect ALL yet, I now focus on the very low mintages specifically. As for 2019, the Apollo Anniversary coins in 70 are sought after but, the Holy Grail in this series is the 2019 Kennedy Reverse Proof. Only 100K "total" and in 70 is going to be the rarest of the Kennedys ever including being an excellent coin in its own right. Although this is the third every Reverse for Kennedy starting with 2014 then, 2018...this Enhanced coin is the ultimate. So, ALL the Apollo coins are my goal yet, this Kennedy will be the highlight of them all. Hope you all agree. Good luck everyone. FYI, I already have them all and 2 Kennedys in PF70.

21. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Cool, finally have a home for all of my worn slugs :D
    Thanks for taking the time to post. Just a heads up, though, that this is the Ancients forum, so you'll probably won't receive relevant responses/opinions to your post here.

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted