What are your 2019 collecting goals?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Trying not to focus on MA Legionary denarii (but I'm obsessed).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ndwolf68

ndwolf68 Member

Whoops! Sorry! Should I delete???

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Naw, don't worry about it. But you may want to post in the modern coin section.

TIF likes this.
  5. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Oh yeah, and I have been peeking around in some ancient material. I don't any ancients but I wanted to look into building a type set per say. Possibly a denomination type set?

6. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

There is no type set for Ancients, but some thought has been put into iconic Ancient Coins in this thread: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/200-ancient-coins-you-should-know-a-book-that-should-exist.319563/

Also check out this thread: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ancient-coins-beginners’-faq-thread.324858/

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I want to put together a mint set from Constantine with the Glory to the Military reverse, expand my Byzantine collection (only two coins!), and hopefully come across some interesting Provincials.

Who knows, maybe 2019 might be the year I snag some coins from the Middle Ages?

8. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I need to remember this thread when Secret Saturnalia 2019 Comes around...

9. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

2019, I would like to complete my collection of John II comnenus coins, I just need a few more and yes more tetartera.

Happy New Year All.

10. alde

alde Always Learning

My goal is to photograph and catalog a bunch of my coins and do more reading and research. My interest in medieval coins has grown so I will keep a watch for some nice English, French, German and whatever nice hammered coins come my way. I've really become obsessed with pre-1500 dated European coins and would love to pick up a pre-1400 dated coin this year. I figure a decent one will take a big chunk of my 2019 coin budget.

11. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

My 2019 goal is to actively seek for a good quality classical Athena tetradrachm. Hopefully one that shows partial/full crest. If lucky, I may be able to purchase an even earlier (between archaic and classical) Athena tetradrachm at an affordable price. Archaic is totally out of my budget.

Main thing is quality instead of quantity. I know, it is hard to do, since we never know if a good quality piece (with a good price tag) will appear or not during 2019. It may appear after you made a big purchase, or it won't appear...

BenSi, Theodosius, Nvb and 1 other person like this.
  12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

You picked a good time to shop. More than 20,000 new examples began coming to the market this year, mostly higher quality.

BenSi and Gavin Richardson like this.
  13. happy_collector

That surely is good news. Don't know why though. Economy? New discovery?

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Someone correct me if I am wrong: All I have seen strike me as rather close to the same period and of similar style. I don't see this having any effect on transitionals and certainly not Archaics. The dealers I have seen offering them have boasted that they selected the best of the best and were asking high prices. The question I have is just how bad coin number 20,000 is and whether it will be a bargain price. Many I saw at the shows I attended were $1500-2000 and probably worth it with the worst being better than most. Will this improve what you can get for $500-1000? Is there a market for so many expensive owls when most collectors would only want one of them because they are so similar? I saw a collector agonizing over a purchase between two coins so identical that neither was nicer. We are accustomed to seeing multiples of US MS66 but the picky among owl lovers has more choices now.

BenSi likes this.
  15. Andrew McCabe

Andrew McCabe Well-Known Member

I wish to be happier in my 2019 coin collecting, per Mr. Wilson Micawber's criterion:

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.”

16. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Happy New Year to All:)! I was out clearing snow....
    I have many coin goals for 2019:)
    A/ Ptolemaic AV Tetradrachm in MS Heritage
    B/ AV aureus from Trajan Decius Heritage
    C/ AV Stater from Kings of the Bosphorus CNG
    D/ Three AR Tetradrachms from Prieur Coll. CNG
    E/ AV Ecu d'or au Porcupines Louis XII MS-64 Stacks
    F/ 15 AR Denari MS
    G/ AV Chevalier d'or Flanders Louis de Male MS-64
    H/ AV Mouton d'or Jean Le Bon MS
    I/ USA AV Three Dollars 1854 in MS-64
    J/ AV 96 Lire 1796 Genoa MS-64
    K/ AV Stater Macedon Philip III Arridaeus MS
    L/ AV Goldgulden early dated from Nordlingen
    John

BenSi, Theodosius, Alegandron and 2 others like this.
  17. happy_collector

I have the same question in mind. Don't know if there is really such a market for expensive classical tetradrachms. I checked recent Heritage auction prices. They seem pretty stable. Just hope that an influx of 20,000 good quality pieces could dent prices a bit, and benefit us collectors. Just a hope. We'll see.

18. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Warren Esty has suggested some “type sets” by reverse types—perhaps not quite the same thing.
    http://augustuscoins.com/ed/ricix/typesets.html

BenSi and FitzNigel like this.
  19. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I need to be more patient in my buying. I can’t get them all, especially since I have a limited budget. I need to take what the market gives me and enjoy the coins I do acquire, rather than just focusing on the next one.

With that having been said, here are some areas of interest:

Add more Constantine reverse types.

Two high-end coins: Otho (to complete my Twelve Caesars set) and a JC Aeneas denarius.

Unify my Twelve Caesars set as much as possible with middle bronzes of Tiberius, Vespasian, and Titus.

Work on acquiring a denarius of each of the Severans—esp the Julias.

Be open to coins that speak to me, regardless of collecting focus.

Theodosius likes this.
  20. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

I have a number of favorite coins, ones for whatever reason I like and I hope that this year I will add one or more of them into my collection. Otherwise I will try to add coins which will further flesh out my collection. I know that basically it is a bit of a crap shoot to try to plan for anything. There are a number of coins coming up in the New York auctions in January which I am interested in but there is a lot of competition and I may be lucky to get even one of the ones I would really like

BenSi, Theodosius and Roman Collector like this.
  21. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

I'm going to try to slow down.. only buy coins that have a legit shot at being in my top 10 all time.
    Reel in the spending and dont lose track of my other investment goals. I tend to get obsessed with things and need to learn to moderate, this is the long game.
    As for the particulars..

1) A mind-blowing celtic imitation of a Philip of Macedon Tetradrachm, Zopfreiter type or other.

2) 1 or 2 higher end Tetradrachms

3) Janiform heads

4) Big beefy bronzes with good patina and contrasting color.

5) TBD, I'll know it when I see it.

6) Organize and catalog my collection and get a proper display case.

7) Sell off anything that doesnt inspire me

BenSi, Theodosius and TIF like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted