What are you working on now?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by joesmom, Dec 30, 2004.

1. nesvt

nesvt Coin Hoarder

The coin in this thread was in the same box for the same price. I might have to go back.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GaryBurke

GaryBurke Senior Member

I'm getting close to finishing the following collections:

JFK Halves
    Franklin Halves
    U.S. Silver Eagles
    Canadian Silver Maple Leafs

I guess I'm different than a majority of serious collectors, in that high quality doesn't mean as much to me as just filling the holes.

4. joesmom

joesmom Member

That's the beauty of this hobby...there is no right or wrong way to collect, just do whatever makes you happy :)

5. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Working to complete anything just takes
    all the fun out of being a slacker. :D

I like to collect tokens (especially military tokens)
    and I find that with the Internet we have far more
    capacity to accumulate than we have time to
    enjoy and study. I'd rather have a few things
    that I enjoy than a lot that I don't have time to
    have fun with because I'm too busy chasing after
    more things. Seems like maddening cycle to
    me, so, I'm not in any rush to finish anything.

http://img84.exs.cx/img84/7139/cococlubsaigonobvrev4za.jpg

6. CoinNut4

CoinNut4 New Member

:rolleyes: Whew.......that is a good question!!! Currently I am working on a gold type set of Libertys.......and I have had a collection of Peace dollars that I have been working on for years in MS63 .......also putting together a super nice date/mint Kennedy collection/with proofs.......I also keep up with the SAE's and the state quarter silver proofs sets........and just got involved in aquiring the SAE proofs last year.......LOL........and if that is not enuff.....I would like to start a Morgan set this year........!!!!

7. Ed Zak

Ed Zak New Member

I am soooooooo jealous of Ziggy's online collection. Great job, now you got me motivated.

I have to take a break from upgrading my Lincoln collection. Can't help myself, I see a RED Lincoln or one with glossy surfaces and I have to get it. Matter of fact, I am looking to seriously upgrade my 1924-D with the one I posted in "What's it worth?". It is the best looking 24-D I have seen in person. When you see it, take a look at the strike!

Anyways, with the exception of the 1922 Plain and 1955 D.D.O., my Lincolns are complete. I have all of the minted dates and for the last 5 years, I have completely upgraded this collection countless times.

I am proud that everything from 1929 to present are all in MS64 condition or better. Now I am tackling those early dates and trying (within budget) to upgrade those too.

As for Morgans, I got interested in them because I feel that no other circulated coin looks as good as these jewels. Even those coins in VG condition show up well compared to other coins. Also, my eyesight is not what it used to be (damn age of 40 plus) and Morgans are nice to look at because they are big!

I have collected and bought 5 CC Morgans and about 16 others in MS63 condition or better. My goal was to fill up a PCGS box (not necessarily with all PCGS Morgans) and I just completed this box.

I would love to do with my collection as Ziggy did. How much does it cost you for your own website and all? I am very interested.

8. Pennycase

Pennycase New Member

1: complete set of U.S. currency from 1914 in VG - VF, I have the 5.00, and 20.00
    2: Reaching the goal of exactly 1,000 1934 & 1950 10.00 bills....... Needless to say I only have 7 right now, but, at least another 60 good years ahead of me hopefully to accomplish this. :D

9. Kyra

Kyra New Member

What am I working on? Probably better to ask what am I not collecting... I too am a Morgan fan (those of you who know me would say fanatic :) ), and I have a partially filled album- anyone got a spare 1895 they'd be willing to let go cheap? :eek: I am also working on a US type set, and a date set of Canadian Maple Leafs, and some world silver buillion, and state quarters, and you get the idea. One of these days I need to organize this hoard I call a collection. :rolleyes:

Rachel :p

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I've been working on a die variety set of draped bust large cents since 1985 but I've pretty much hit the wall on it. I haven't added a new piece for five years. I have 182 of the 187 varieties and the cheapest of the five I still need starts in the low four figures in Fair-2, the highest is high four figures in the same grade. So I am slowly adding to the rest of the early dates. High on my list is a 1795 S-73, the last of the 1795's that I need.

I'm also collecting English Conder tokens but only the ones actually issued for circulation. I have 470 of the 657 varieties.

And of course I'm putting together a reference set of all of the third party certification service holder varieties.

11. tonphil1960

tonphil1960 Senior Member

Collection

Well, I am still working on my Barber dimes in circulated grades.
    A short set of slabbed MS 64 Walking Liberty Halves.
    Large Cents in VG, from 1816 to 1857, I hope to get at least all the Redbook varieties.

I am collecting world coins at random.

Papal coinage, and hopefully going to get into world gold soon too.

Tony

12. ziggy29

ziggy29 Senior Member

There are a lot of hosting services that cost less than $10 per month. Between that and some site design software (I'm on a Mac, so I use a Mac product called "Freeway Express"), it's pretty easy to lay out pages and stuff.

13. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Conder101
    I thought you had finished your LG cent collection.

ziggy29
    Mac's and IBM's are what keeps my brother-in-law in business! :D :D :D
    He's a computer repair man ;)

Speedy

14. Gary

Gary New Member

I am currently trying to complete a set of Lafayette dollars by die variety. I have four of the six. I have not seen the two I need listed anywhere. Someday maybe ?

Have a good day, Gary

15. pcrdnadave

pcrdnadave Senior Member

Thats not one you see every day! Good luck.

16. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Washington Quarters (P mint) 1950-64 (Blast white BU raw).

UK sixpences by date 1674-1694

Henry VI date (per say) set, 1422-27 annulet issue from Noble to farthing. Since coins of this era have no dates, then it's basically collecting one coin of each denomination from the above issue (minted in the years stated above), so it's noble, half noble, quarter noble, groat, halfgroat, penny, half penny and farthing.

The farthing is going to be tricky to say the least.

17. dccoincollector

dccoincollector New Member

I am working on the Liberty Half Eagles currently. I have 17 coins in the series now. I hope to complete over the next few years.

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'm currently collecting any world coin that appeals to me - in particular gold. But I also collect silver examples. There are a few countries which are the main focus of my interest however - the Netherlands, France and any of the Spanish colonial mints. But if I see something I think exceptional - I don't let it being from another country prevent me from buying it.

19. sylvester

sylvester New Member

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

For all practical purposes it is finished since my main focus was the draped bust and I am very unlikely to get any more of them. but in building the draped bust set I also acquired a complete set of the classics, most of the 1795 and 96 caps and about 2 dozen of the 94's. I'll never finish the 94's, there are just too many very expensive coins and I'm not focused on them. But the few pieces I don't have on the 95's and 96's are doable so I will try to pick them up eventually

21. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Conder101
    Ah--now I understand ;) :)

Even from the US?? :D :D

Speedy

Draft saved Draft deleted