What Are You Reading or Listening To?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ken Dorney, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Currently reading:

roland.jpg

epics.jpg

Derrida.jpg Foucault.jpg

Listening:

svessien, TheRed, Theoderic and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Just bought the first one on Kindle!

4. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

I finishing Claudius the God. Moving on to An Anonymous Girl (or as Monty Python used to say, "And now something completely different".

Claudius the God.jpg

An Anonymous Girl.jpg

Listening to Prokofiev lately, among others....

5. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Here are a few links to Secrets of the Dead episodes that you might find interesting. Perhaps you've seen them. Some of these links expire in a month or so, others later.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/neros-sunken-city-full-episode/3471/

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/cleopatras-lost-tomb-full-episode/2909/

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/leonardo-man-saved-science-full-episode/3521/

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/the-nero-files-full-episode/4040/

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/king-arthurs-lost-kingdom-full-episode/4094/

Deacon Ray likes this.
  6. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I've been missing my usual regular trips to the gun range during this pandemic, and some of my usual friends from the range have been trying to get me into this for a while, so I've been learning about long range shooting and building a 1000+ yard rifle. Long range shooting is almost a separate hobby in itself in the same way coin photography and coin cleaning are from coin collecting, so there's a lot to learn but it's been fun so far.

61J4hGZNudL.jpg

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I like that book. Building an AR10 myself.

Only a Poor Old Man likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I just finished The Sword and the Scimitar by Simon Scarrow. A good historical fiction about the siege of Malta by Sultan Suleiman in 1565. I can highly recommend to readers of historical fiction.

10. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Its been out awhile... meaning I could pick it up at a discount..

upload_2020-4-13_2-8-23.png

So far - very well done!
    -------
    In these unprecedented times we can always turn to music to set the mood..
    Here is one Canadian classic...

I felt like this for a few weeks:

And a couple of Canadian silly/fun '80s tunes to lift the spirits..
    I grew up in the '80s... looks weird now..:woot:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    JulesUK, red_spork and Orfew like this.
  11. Only a Poor Old Man

Only a Poor Old Man Well-Known Member

One has to spend the time somehow during lockdown, and I realised that even though I like to collect old books, I very rarely actually read them! That is because old and frail books are hard to read, and I tend to avoid handling them too much and usually go for an electronic version if I really want to read the content.

There is an electronic version of what I now picked to read from my library, but this one is a pocket book (thus easier to read on a sofa) and is full of interesting gravures that usually are missing from the electronic versions.

It is the 'Adventures of Telemachus' written in 1699 by Fenelon the archbishop of Cambrai. We often accuse Hollywood of unecesary sequels, prequels, or spin-offs, but this one was written much earlier and is a fictional account of Telemachus' journey to find his father Ulysees. My copy is an english translation printed in 1749. A difficult and slow read, but it has 24 miniature plates which I love plus a very interesting 17th century fold-out map of the med.

book1.jpg

book2.jpg

book3.jpg

book4.jpg

book5.jpg

book6.jpg

book7.jpg

book8.jpg

book9.jpg

book10.jpg

Coin-wise, I haven't bought anything in a while and what I do is to add interesting coins in my favourites folder. To my horror, they usually get sold after a couple of days. People are still buying coins, I guess they are not afraid of virulent postmen... One thing I noticed though is that in the last few days the number of new coins hitting the usual online marketplaces has been dramatically reduced.

12. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Alegandron likes this.
  13. galba68

galba68 Well-Known Member

14. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Am reading Mythos by Stephen Fry

0718188721.jpg

A light read with a retelling of the Greek myths with snippets of linguistic anthropology thrown in.

I have owned this for some time and tried to read it a few times and failed to get into it. Enjoying it this time round.

Orfew, Pellinore and Alegandron like this.
  15. Parthicus Maximus

Parthicus Maximus Well-Known Member

I thought it would be fun to revive this thread.
    Reading:
    71JxfMq9BoL.jpg

550x830.jpg

Listening:

Severus Alexander, Orfew and svessien like this.
  16. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Currently reading Fake Nero by Feuchtwanger. Not 100% impressed, I was expecting something a little more spectacular, but not bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted