What Are You Reading or Listening To?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ken Dorney, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Haha a coin of Constantine on the cover of a book about the Peloponnesian War huh? I bet that gave Kenneth a face-palm.

Ryro likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper Supporter

Tired of Ancient Roman or Greek historical fiction? Looking for something more exotic and mysterious?

I invite you all to take a glimpse at the world of the Hittites....not the much diminished neo-Hittite kingdoms from the Bible, but the much older classical Bronze Age Empire of the Hittites, whose power could not be matched except maybe by the Egyptian pharaos of the New Kingdom.

When Prince Hattu is born, the Goddess Ishtar prophesied that this "cursed son" will slay his brothers, stain the throne with blood, and bring destruction upon the world. As a result, he is forced to live a life of seclusion. But when the Kaskans threaten to destroy the Hittite empire, Hattu is drawn into a journey to prove the Goddess Ishtar wrong and prove his worth as a warrior and prince. But as he tries to redeem himself, Ishtar's prophesy looms larger than ever.

Screenshot_20190819-153728.png

Honestly, a great read. I was captivated from begining to end, and can't wait for additional books from this series. If they are half as good as this first one, it will be a great series indeed....perhaps along the caliber of one of the great historical series like Marius Mules

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE Supporter

Fascinating history... it is why I captured this. And, @Sallent , thanks for the book reference.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hittite Steatite Head of a Man Amulet 2nd Millennium BCE 15 x 20 mm Intact front-Side
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hittites

These were the guys that Rameses II fought at the Battle of Kadesh... Rameses told everyone HE won, as the Hittites stated THEY won. Lotta dumb mistakes from Rameses II side, but I understand it was really a draw.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kadesh

[​IMG]
    Egypt Scarab RAMESSES II cartouche 19th Dyn 1292-1189 BCE winged uraeus cobra 4.1g 19mm Gustave Mustaki collection acquired from Egypt in 1948

TheRed, Theodosius, Ryro and 2 others like this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member Supporter

Do all of these have the error on the dustjacket? My grey jacket 1985 edition has it right.

6. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Hoping to figure this out eventually....

@dougsmit ... Don't tell me my book is fake too? :)

7. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I just got this in the mail. Alas, too late for the write-ups for my recent Victoria Navalis coins.

20190819_212345a.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted