What Are You Reading or Listening To?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ken Dorney, Dec 6, 2018.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Listening:

Reading:
    00-odyssey9780345806215.jpg

And a somewhat related coin to keep it legal:
    Arkanania Argos Amphilochikon stater.jpg AKARNANIA, Argos Amphilochikon
    Very Rare. 7.15g, 21.1mm. AKARNANIA, Argos Amphilochikon, circa 350-270 BC. Calciati pg. 524, 6 (same dies). O: Pegasos with pointed wing flying right, beneath dog lying right, AP. R: Head of Athena left; AM above helmet; behind, tubula and A.

robinjojo, Ajax, randygeki and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I've been enjoying Ryan Stitt's History of Ancient Greece Podcast on my commutes lately. I'm only up to Episode 9. We're starting to emerge from mist and mythology and get into real history, but they haven't invented coins yet.

David Atherton likes this.
  4. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

1960s...

1970s...

1980s...

1990s...

now:
    Do5L4ToxX6fX8wEdd79BFCg2Nb35cQ.jpg

chrsmat71, Ajax, randygeki and 3 others like this.
  5. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I've finally gotten around to reading Herodotus' "The Histories". I'm currently up to Book IV.

Listening? All over the map. Glad to see the Pogues, Genesis and the Dead Kennedys, some of my favorites, show up in this thread. Would be nice if Gram Parsons made an appearance, too. But the one album that still, 58 years later, gets played in my home more that any other is Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue":

Truly a masterpiece, from first note to last.

Oh. And a recent coin purchase:
    [​IMG]
    Diocletian
    Augustus A.D. 284-305
    Bronze Nummus
    Treir mint, A.D. 301-305
    Obv: IMP DIOCLETIANVS AVG
    Rev: GENIO POPV-LI ROMANI - Genius, modius on head, naked but for chlamys hanging from shoulder, holding patera and cornucopiae
    PTR in exergue; S in left field, F in right
    RIC 582a
    26mm, 7.7g.

robinjojo, chrsmat71, Ajax and 6 others like this.
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Tull. Well, Ian, anyway. Always.

7. Aleph

Aleph Well-Known Member

Reading: anna karenina, music: Joy Division and Saint Etienne

8. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Currently reading Russel Banks (in french I'm afraid) :

[​IMG]

And listening quite a lot of things, but the most I play these days is blues music from these guys :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Q

Edit : Oh, I forgot to have it coin related, sorry

My last but one purchase :

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    chrsmat71, Ajax, randygeki and 5 others like this.
  9. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Sipping some Havana Club rum I bought in Cuba last year, and smoking a Cohiba while listening to some classic Salsa music

And I'm reading this on my Kindle...the third book in a historical fiction series set during the reign reign of Commodus, his downfal, and the Civil Wars that brought the Severan Dynasty to power.

The first book starts in 180CE, and by the time of the 3rd book, the events cover the time around 185-187CE

51nH0XXfhaL.jpg

10. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Interesting thread! I got a lot of great book ideas from it (especially the Pasternak book).

Currently reading:

asbook.jpg
    A scientific/sceptical look at these legendary cryptids.

escape from rome.jpg
    A wonderful children's series from the author Caroline Lawrence (The Roman Mysteries). The setting is the last years of Domitian's reign.

Listening to:

http://www.darkhistories.com/

Spooky true crime/unsolved mysteries podcast with a sceptical bent.

11. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I'm halfway through this book, which I'm already convinced is a must-read for anyone interested in the modern college milieu, whether as a student, faculty member, or parent...

coddling.jpg

This is the blurb from Amazon...

Something has been going wrong on many college campuses in the last few years. Speakers are shouted down. Students and professors say they are walking on eggshells and are afraid to speak honestly. Rates of anxiety, depression, and suicide are rising—on campus as well as nationally. How did this happen?

First Amendment expert Greg Lukianoff and social psychologist Jonathan Haidt show how the new problems on campus have their origins in three terrible ideas that have become increasingly woven into American childhood and education: What doesn’t kill you makes you weaker; always trust your feelings; and life is a battle between good people and evil people. These three Great Untruths contradict basic psychological principles about well-being and ancient wisdom from many cultures. Embracing these untruths—and the resulting culture of safetyism—interferes with young people’s social, emotional, and intellectual development. It makes it harder for them to become autonomous adults who are able to navigate the bumpy road of life.

Lukianoff and Haidt investigate the many social trends that have intersected to promote the spread of these untruths. They explore changes in childhood such as the rise of fearful parenting, the decline of unsupervised, child-directed play, and the new world of social media that has engulfed teenagers in the last decade. They examine changes on campus, including the corporatization of universities and the emergence of new ideas about identity and justice. They situate the conflicts on campus within the context of America’s rapidly rising political polarization and dysfunction.

This is a book for anyone who is confused by what is happening on college campuses today, or has children, or is concerned about the growing inability of Americans to live, work, and cooperate across party lines.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  12. gsimonel

I haven't read the book that John Anthony recommends, but just going by the Amazon blurb, I think "The Anthropology of Childhood" by David Lancey would be an excellent follow-up.

Plumbata likes this.
  13. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

As I type this I am listening to "Cross Eyed Mary" from Jethro Tull. Listening to "Aqualung" through Spotify. Not sure what my next selection will be???

chrsmat71 and Deacon Ray like this.
  14. gsimonel

Suddenly, I am transported back to high school . . .
    . . .aah, the days of lying in the basement with my head between the speakers, looking at the haze of smoke swirling above me, thinking about the future and the meaning of life . . .

15. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I enjoyed reading The Wonky Donkey to my grandson. If you buy the book, you can listen to the song by Craig Smith.
    The Wonky Donkey.jpg
    or if you want immediate satisfaction this clip of a grandmother reading the story is great!

Rome vs Carthage, War at Sea had a pic of an anchor on a cast bronze bar. I had to read this book.
    Rome vs Carthage war at sea.jpg
    I would like one of these.
    Cast-bronze-bar-with-anchor-and-tripod-C-Trustees-of-the-British-Museum.png
    This one is mine.
    DSCN1190.JPG DSCN1191.JPG

16. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

Moved on to "461 Ocean Boulevard". Probably do "Slowhand" after that. Can't go wrong with E.C.

Yeah that sounds familiar. Don't forget the large bag of Doritos and two liter of Sprite???

17. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Main book at the moment is Beard’s SPQR. Secondary is Medieval Coins of Bohemia, Hungary, and Poland. Just got the newest volume of the Haskin’s Society Journal in the mail, so will be starting that soon.

Currently have Christmas music on regular rotation, but usually enjoy a healthy dose of Sabbath and Dio. This gem came to my attention today:

18. Plumbata

Plumbata Well-Known Member

Awesome! My better half is a University professor (not tenured yet) and she had already joined Haidt's "Heterodox Academy" and had heard of the book, but we just bought it thanks to your reminder. She's basically a garden variety libertarian centrist but is made to feel like a morally decrepit Nazi by the lunatics running the asylum, and it's quite sad as she is a very dutiful and principled person. I guess having standards is transgressive nowadays.

As Millennials basically all of our friends have gobbled up the poison fruits of Postmodern deconstructionist Critical Theory, and regurgitate cultural and economic Marxist nonsense as objective gospel truth in spite of their ideology eschewing the notion of objective fact/truth, but who needs philosophical consistency in 2018!

Here's a book I've been waiting to find a cheap used copy of, trusted reviewers say it is excellent:
    41QiXwK4HqL.jpg

chrsmat71, John Anthony and randygeki like this.
  19. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

20. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Currently I'm reading The Histories by Herodotus.

I've been listening to a lot of In Flames lately.

chrsmat71, Aethelred and Johndakerftw like this.
  21. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I'm reading this book...

lawrence.jpg

And listening to old Depeche Mode stuff:

Draft saved Draft deleted