What are you reading? Not necessarily coin or ancient related.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by alde, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

"Sink 'em All" by Charles Lockwood. Story of WW2 submarines.

alde and Puckles like this.
  4. alde

alde Always Learning

Silent Victory is a great read too.

Puckles likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Oh and I'm trying to make sense of my new CTX 3030 Metal detector!
    So I had to get the handbook! :arghh:
    p-892-0002812_minelab-ctx-3030-handbook.jpg

Multatuli, lordmarcovan and Curtisimo like this.
  6. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

And a book @lordmarcovan recommended to me and which was a great read: Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson which tells the story about the discovery of a World War II German U-boat 60 miles off the coast of New Jersey in 1991.

lordmarcovan and alde like this.
  7. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

I have read both books dadams.

lordmarcovan and dadams like this.
  8. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Reza Aslan, No god but God: The Origins, Evolution, and Future of Islam. I devoured the first half of this book, but I am now getting bogged down in Islamic juristic traditions in the second half. I can't confidently recommend this book; I think Aslan is too quick to opt for interpretations that make Islam more palatable to Western readers, though he might openly acknowledge that that's part of the goal. However, I *can* recommend it if it's one of multiple books on Islam you might read. Indeed, I have learned a great deal from this book. I just think it would be a mistake to make this the *only* book one reads on the topic. Perhaps that's true for any work about a controversial subject.

618WRPq30OL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

9. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I haven't read this yet but I ordered it, waiting on delivery.

Multatuli, David Atherton and Puckles like this.
  10. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

51D6kAbV2YL._AC_US436_QL65_.jpg
    Ancilla to Classical Reading, by Moses Hadas.
    This one is slow going. I keep it by my bed for filling those last minutes before we are ready to quit for the night. It is astonishingly informative about how ancient literature, drama, poetry, and historical writing was written, "published", and preserved to modern times, for example, with a section on who during the Renaissance sought out ancient texts. I don't expect to read much ancient literature, but I enjoy the insights on Homer, Caesar, Seneca, Livy, poets you have heard of but don't read, etc.

Curtisimo, zumbly, Puckles and 2 others like this.
  11. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Moses Hadas was the author of my favorite academic book review line, which goes something like this: "This book fills a much-needed gap in the literature."

12. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Good luck. I studied Islam quite extensively in college when I was doing my undergrad in International Relations. Just like Christianity, there are quite a few flavors of Islam. They won't admit it, but it's quite apparent when you look at all the tribal conflicts and rivalries in the Middle East

Gavin Richardson likes this.
  13. Puckles

Puckles Cat Whisperer

I got it on Kindle - instant delivery!

14. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I love it. LOL.

My favourite is "I cannot see any way this might be improved".

15. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Here is what I'm reading tonight on my tablet while sitting in my rocking chair, smoking natural tobacco leaf in my Savinelli Bulldog pipe, and sipping on a glass filled with 50 year old Port wine resting on a small patio table next to the chair.

51kjAcXV4EL._SX336_BO1,204,203,200_ (1).jpg

16. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Not sure who "they" would be, but I guess that pretty much every Muslim will tell you that yes, there are different "camps" in Islam. Even if you leave, say, Shiites aside and look, for example, at "Wahhabi" Sunni Muslims, you will come across many others who will say that this is not "their" kind of Islam. A couple of weeks ago I saw an interesting exhibition in Cologne about pilgrimage around the world (English site here). While Mecca is a sacred place for all Muslims, a destination like Karbala, Iraq is not. Oh, and I have the exhibition catalog, bought and read it. Counts as reading material too. ;)

Christian

17. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Old fashion I guess.

18. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I read constantly which is probably why I only get about four hours sleep each night. Lots of heavy stuff like coin books and excavation reports, etc., fiction, but also I plan to read these soon. Yes. Scrooge McDuck. Yes, I am just a little kid inside. Always will be!

IMG_0912.jpg

TIF, chrisild, Puckles and 7 others like this.
  19. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Reading this book for the second time. A good fantasy novel based off the Roman Empire.
    27774758.jpg

Puckles, Ajax, Parthicus and 4 others like this.
  20. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

I usually have several books going at once, right now I am reading:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TIF, Puckles, zumbly and 3 others like this.
  21. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

How do you like Homo Deus?

Draft saved Draft deleted