what are these dents

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by enochian, Jul 31, 2013.

1. enochian

enochian silver eater

the two bigest ones are on the check theres some coming out of the mouth theres even some on the back.

it seems like something skipped acrossed the surface

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

just noticed it on my ike to
    next to the 4 and the 7

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rickipedia

Rickipedia Korean YN at 12

Normal bag marks. While the coin was in a canvas bag sewn by the Mint, as it was carried around the coins hit eachother leaving depressions on the coin's surface.

AlexMoore likes this.
  4. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

The ones on the obverse of the JFK half are milling marks, also known as reed marks, where the reeding from another coin smacked against the surface and left an impression. They are quite common on larger silver coins as well as gold.

5. enochian

enochian silver eater

I wasent aware they put proofs in bags do thoes marks effect grade

6. Rickipedia

The 40% Silver Kennedy wasn't a proof, and it was a regular business strike, though not released to circulation. The Ike, as for being in an mint set, it couldn't have been stored in bags--but the abrasions were made during the minting of the coin itself, as coins hit each other.

7. Rickipedia

8. enochian

enochian silver eater

oh ok i wasent sure if the 76 silver was a proof or not. kinda figured since the 2x2 said bu. most be the silver that makes them look better which is why im going with the silver for my 20th/21st century album

Draft saved Draft deleted