What are these black lines across coin?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hypr277, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Hypr277

Hypr277 Member

Do you think these lines are sharpie marks ?

Attached Files:

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood @Hypr277 !

They could be just about anything. The images are a little too small for my poor eyes.

Chris

4. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

If it's ink, a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol (91% Isopropyl) will remove it and absorb the black ink - otherwise, could be tarnish from exposure to some oxidant like chlorine bleach (a crude but effective silver test) or the like

5. Hypr277

Hypr277 Member

Thank you very much! New question, ok so I clearly am new to coins, I've been steadily researching , but I have lots to learn. I've been just pressing bid on eBay , sometimes I don't even know if I'm over bidding or not. Got off topic...I was trying to ask about cleaning coins. I recently received some old coins, I haven't even gone through them all so I don't know if it's junk or not...I know there are several Whitman folders with a few coins . I'm sure nothing valuable, it's sentimental manly... they look dirty some of them...it drives me crazy. Is there some way to have them cleaned without ruining them? Professionally prob cost a fortune? I read all about not cleaning and then others say u can clean and they say acetone etc . Some have tape on them because my great grandmother I guess was trying to keep them in the slots. I like the coloring of some , not of others. I've got Indian pennies, morgans, wheats, barber dimes, and others. What are my options? Can I clean them without hurting them or taking their coloring away? Literally some look to have dirt or grime on them . I would just buy them knew but it's sentimental, I plan to buy the missing pieces but wanted to start with what I have .

6. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Try acetone for the tape.

7. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Welcome! 99% or 100% acetone is the bet choice if you are going to use it. Also I would love to see some pictures of your new found coinage!

Thanks,
    Jacob

asheland likes this.
  8. Hypr277

Hypr277 Member

U will fall over if I show u how it was or is stored at moment . I've got boxes full of coin purses , tons of them and I have bags full of silver coins ...plastic bags, and I have a cigar box , and a mini shoe box size safe , plus the Whitman folders....i just know I opened them and they are silver etc . I have no idea what is all in there. I've been scared to go threw them because there's lot there and idk what or how to organize safely and if I'm sure coin purses full of them is scratching them lol. But I know they aren't complete junk. I doubt they r rare. There's also Canadian coins, silver certificates, etc. I keep saying I'll go through them...but I don't have anywhere safe to put them once I start taking them out ...prob scratch them too death too . What organization do you use? Cap albums? Or what ? I don't like the Whitman folders these r in . I've researched and everyone has negative stuff about each album

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Don't do anything to the coins. You will kill the value. Don't wipe them with anything. Only hold them by the edges. Post clear images if possible.

There are several types of holders. If we can get an idea of what you have, we can help you pick the proper type of holders you need.

10. Hypr277

Hypr277 Member

Some have nasty grime

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The direction of the lines make me hesitate, but I have seen coins with similar that had come into contact with the old rubber bands. maybe in a drawer or such. The coin has a nice appearance, so I would not go beyond acetone, no acids to remove the sulfide marks.

asheland likes this.
  12. Hypr277

Hypr277 Member

13. Hypr277

Hypr277 Member

Well idk what to do , the coins are overwhelming! I mean there's a lot of Morgan's, Kennedy s, Benjamins, mercury dimes, barbers, Indians, wheats, liberties, coins I've never seen , Canadian coins, Mexico coins, they r all just waiting to be damaged! One safe I tried to put into a larger bag and I heard coins just screech as they slid as box tilted when I was putting it in! I don't have enough holders and I just got the ones u staple lol but no staples!! And idk if they will all fit in them . I wonder what the best option would be . Also, are silver certificates or 2 dollar bills...like the really old two dollar bills with red mark on them...are they even worth anything? Just two dollars?

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The one dark line on the obv, as Jim said that might be the result of a rubber band being around the coin while it was in a 2x2 or flip. But everything else, in my opinion what we see is just what happens to circulated coins in the normal course of their lives. As a coin circulates it gets dirty, it accumulates dirt on it. All the oils transferred to the coin from fingers and hands, those oils attract dirt and make it stick to the coin. And any recess there is on the coin, whether that recess is a part of the design or from a contact mark, a scratch, whatever, the dirt and grime is pushed down into those recesses and it stays there. Of course the oils and dirt and grime also gets on the higher parts of the coin, but as the coin circulates that dirt on the high points get rubbed off, while all the dirt and grime in the recesses stays there because it's protected down in those recesses and nothing can rub it off.

Look at the coin, all the recesses, all the contact marks, all the scratches, all the protected areas, every one of them shows dark. But all the high points don't. Simply put that's just what happens to coins as they circulate, it's completely normal.

That said, you can also see a similar effect when a coin has been harshly cleaned. But with experience you can learn to tell the difference. This coin, no I do not think it has been harshly cleaned, based on the pics anyway. If I saw it hand, I might change my mind, might not.

asheland likes this.
  15. Hypr277

Hypr277 Member

16. Hypr277

Hypr277 Member

I have a coin that someone thought it would be fun to put nail polish on the and coins hair. lol. Nail polish won't hurt it correct ? It's not valuable, it's a Benjamin coin

17. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

No, not the metal, but if it is only partially covered, the remaining exposed parts can continue to react to the environment and then when the color is removed, the coin metal will have 2 visible differences in the surface, not often for the better

Acetone will remove the polish.

Draft saved Draft deleted