What Are The Odds

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Handyman, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Handyman

Handyman Well-Known Member

I'm new to CRH and collecting just started getting interested about 4 months ago, Yesterday I was at the convenience store and I asked Linda to sell me a row of cents(penny's).

When I got home I stuck that roll in my desk not thinking much about the coins, truthfully I been getting bored with CRH.

Mostly MD and DDD not finding anything of value, any way I decided to open that roll of coins and I couldn't believe my eye's.

What are the odds of finding all these Indian Head Cents in one roll, (should i buy a lottery ticket today) lol.

Dont know alot about them other then what I found on the internet so I thought I would share my find.
    Ps. Sorry for the pics best I could do.
    20190920_070027.jpg 20190920_070324.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Just... Wow! Had you asked that question blindly, I would have said the odds are nil. What a nice grab!

Inspector43, Endeavor and Handyman like this.
  4. Handyman

Since I really don't have collection yet I figured this might be a good start.

5. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Looks like someone put together a roll for the great American coin hunt, and the roll got set aside until you freed it from its paper restraint ;)

Nice find!

Brina, Inspector43, Endeavor and 3 others like this.
  6. masterswimmer

And that was the EXACT REASON for the great American coin hunt :)

7. Handyman

Are there any errors I should look for on these coins, from what I have found on the internet I don't believe any of these are key dates.

8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Great start to a collection indeed!
    Since it was at a convenience store, I feel like it was more likely someone stole grandpa's collection and spent it for a pack of smokes. I still have my doubts about this whole "great" American coin hunt lol.

9. Handyman

I'm new so what is this great American coin roll hunt, or are they referring to CRH.

10. furryfrog02

Handyman likes this.
  11. masterswimmer

I thought about that too. However, if it was grandpa's coins wouldn't you expect the entire roll to include IHC's or at least all collectibles? Not IHC's interspersed within commons.

12. furryfrog02

@Handyman what WAS in the rest of the roll?
    @masterswimmer I still don't believe this Great American Coin Hunt really happened haha.

13. Handyman

There where several wheats and some from the 60's.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  14. Handyman

15. TheCitrusGuy

TheCitrusGuy Member

It's possible that these were Grandpa's coins taken for a smoke. These might have been extras/doubles from the collection that were not in a folder. Either way, GREAT find!

Brina, Inspector43, Spark1951 and 2 others like this.
  16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

What a fantastic find. That is why we Coin Roll Hunt! Yes it gets boring at times but then, WHAM!!! Congrats

Brina, Inspector43, Endeavor and 2 others like this.
  17. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Nice find! It would have been even nicer if there had been an 1877 and a 1909-S.

Chris

18. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

I can see both scenarios and many more. Whichever the case, they're in your hands now! icon_smile_thumbsup.gif

19. FooFighter

FooFighter Just a Knucklehead Coin Hunter

Yea me neither

20. The odds are higher if you live in a small town that has fell on hard times , I hunt half dollar rolls from my local small town bank and find 90% silver once in a while . But that is a great start to any new collection congratulations . Happy hunting .

Handyman, Inspector43 and Endeavor like this.
  21. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

Really cool find!

Inspector43 and Endeavor like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted