What are the Odds? Customer wrapped rolls of Ikes.

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by rte, Mar 18, 2024.

1. rte

rte Well-Known Member

This could get interesting :greedy:
    IMG_20240318_103820459.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Well I'm hooked - I can't believe you haven't opened a roll marked 40% silver yet. What's inside?

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

And how did you manage that? Did you find a teller who was eager to get rid of the things so they didn't need to be re-counted every night?

5. No_Ragrets

No_Ragrets Well-Known Member

And here I am digging my grubby hands into the coinstar in hopes of finding a silver, which hasn't happened yet. I did manage to get about $3 worth of spending change (excluding foreigns) but not a lick of silver yet.

Seeing posts like yours makes me wonder if I should start CRH, but I don't know if I have the patience for it. Congrats on your finds!!

6. rte

rte Well-Known Member

7 rolls in and it's break time.
    Only one interested dollar.
    1978 might be an S? Can't really tell, looks to be struck thru or really weak strike on the Obverse.
    Reverse looks normal and a decent strike.
    ANY thoughts?
    No silver yet, someone either figured all Ike dollars were silver dollars ( well they are but not in that respect ) or reused old wrappers.
    I'm 1/4 way through the lot.
    IMG_20240318_145531289.jpg IMG_20240318_145545449.jpg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
    -jeffB and ZoidMeister like this.
  7. rte

rte Well-Known Member

I knew the person looking to get rid of them.
    They have been sitting on them for 20+ years.
    I didn't expect silver, when I saw the rappers I said surely those aren't accurate?
    The person got these random over the years in circulation and at a bank when they happen to be in their bank.

-jeffB likes this.
  8. Lon Chaney

9. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

Have you found any Morgan/Peace dollars? I know that some people do in rolls "full of Ikes". I haven't found one yet but I hope to, just like a 39-D or 50-D nickel, or a 1982 no P dime.

But anyways, I can't tell you how awesome that is of a find. According to NGC, the melt value of 21 rolls of 40% silver Eisenhowers is $3,339! That is not a joke! You could pay bills for several months on that.

10. rte

rte Well-Known Member

This is my temporary work station for the remainder of the hunt.:p
    IMG_20240318_195820852_HDR.jpg

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  11. rte

rte Well-Known Member

The verdict is in...
    Drumroll...
    My helper says we could have spent our time better.
    1971-1978 with a 1/3 1976
    P and D
    In cat sign language this would be a D :D for disappointment :wideyed:
    IMG_20240318_210012056_HDR.jpg
    and this a P :p for well Philadelphia :eek:
    IMG_20240318_210010468_HDR.jpg
    No silver...

-jeffB likes this.
  12. rte

rte Well-Known Member

And that's all folks, the help has gone to bed.
    IMG_20240318_213008394_HDR.jpg

13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I got a $1000 bag from the bank once. It was off their counting machine. Or could have been $500, I don’t remember. But I had to wait for it to fill before they sold it to me. Got one 40%er. Only one I got to date. Bummer on yours, @rte. Exciting wrappers, though.

rte likes this.
  14. Lon Chaney

Quite a letdown. Oh well.

15. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

LOL. Just turn on the water. The cat will get up.

16. -jeffB

Looks like a D to me, as it would have to be (clearly not a proof, so not an S). The mint marks on these were ridiculously undersized.

17. Lon Chaney

Could be a blue Ike, those were struck at San Fran. It's not, because it's clearly not .400, but the blue Ikes were S mint and BU.

18. -jeffB

There were no .400 Ikes struck in 1977 or 1978, and no non-proof S-mints for those years. Only 1971-1976.

ddddd likes this.
  19. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

You win some you don't get some.A few years back when I was going through some cent rolls one was labeled 1905.I opened that one last and it was just full of stinkin Lincolns. I've always wondered if it was full of Indians and I just missed them.

-jeffB likes this.
  20. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

I love Ike's there is a small premium for some varieties. Especially the 72 v2 If you have the time to check for them.

21. -jeffB

I bought a roll of Indian cents from a pawnshop that had a list of dates and quantities written on it -- starting in the 1860s. I asked if I could look inside, slid the coins out, and saw a bunch of dates in... the 1860s. I slid them back in quickly, hemmed and hawed, and settled on $10 for the roll. :rolleyes:

I guess I could drag out that wrapper, fill it with Zincolns, and deposit it at the bank... but I'm not that kind of :troll:.

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted