What are the gaps in your collection?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by GregH, Aug 27, 2016.

1. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Of course, no collection is ever "complete", but I'm interested to know what coins you really "need" for your collection. Do you leave a space in your coin display for that elusive coin that you need?

My collection is the portrait series and my biggest holes are:

Antinous
    FullSizeRender(7).jpg

Pescennius Niger
    FullSizeRender(8).jpg

and Gordian II FullSizeRender(9).jpg

I need these three guys to feel "whole"!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

I recently told several coin collector friends that I see the following glaring weaknesses in my Roman Republican collection:
    1. Didrachm coinage;
    2. Social War/Marsic Confederation coinage; and
    3. Imperatorial Coinage.
    Those are the three areas I really need to work on. I think of my collection in "blocks" rather than particular missing coins.

4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I would also like to focus more on imperatorial coinage. As a 12 Caesars collector I thought it would be interesting the fill the gap between JC and Augustus with coins of Marc Antony, Brutus, Cassius and perhaps a few other related characters. Also, I am always on the lookout for upgrades to my existing collection.

GregH and Carausius like this.
  5. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I have to many holes to list. I don't think I've completed a set in more than 5 yrs. I change directions as much as my mood swings. I'll cycle around eventually. My interests are many.

GregH likes this.
  6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

some nice lookin' coins in there! that that balbinus sure caught my eye!

since i'm not very focused in my collecting, i don't have any single coin "holes". i certainly have weak areas i'd like to beef up.

TIF and GregH like this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

8. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

I intend to get a few portraits from the imperatorial years also, starting with a nice JC portrait!

Orfew and Smojo like this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My most sought after 'holes' are places I did not know existed, questions I have never considered and things I had never before known were there to know. My most sought after coins are the ones I have never seen.

10. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I'm a generalist, so every area is pretty much a hole. There are plenty of ancient and medieval Asian and European empires, city states, and areas that I still don't have any coin for, and plenty of rulers and notable coins I don't have...and will never have if I live to be 300, as it is literally impossible to own one of each ancient and medieval silver/billon coin ever made.

11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@dougsmit said: "My most sought after 'holes' are places I did not know existed, questions I have never considered and things I had never before known were there to know. My most sought after coins are the ones I have never seen."

Very similar to mine, although I collect from an Historical perspective as opposed to a Numismatic approach.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    GregH likes this.
  12. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I'd really like to get all ~200-ish Antoninus Pius denarius reverse types. I'm missing most of them, but the ones I want the most are the early ones, before the deification of Hadrian.

GregH likes this.
  13. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

I fill quite some holes in the toilet..:))
    Well still collection Syrian Tets, still a few on my list, that I have seen but no budget for the moment.
    Also I am now collecting more from the holyland, such as cities like Dora, Ascalon. In general there is no end in sight.

GregH likes this.
  14. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I'm less than halfway through my want list, and chances are, it'll change dozens of times in the intervening period.

15. I_v_a_n

I_v_a_n Well-Known Member

Some years ago I have to collect a Russian Empire roubles and poltinas. My main goal was to collect a gallery of emperor's portraits, and by the way I have to collect other russian coins. I almost finalise my main interests period of XVIII century. The last one coin (rouble of Ioann Antonovich 1741) has a budget from $10000 and limited only by imagine :) This was a point when I have started to look around - at Middle Ages and Ancients. Now I have choose a principle to collect only "candy" coins made from gold or electrum, which can be described as most influential for history (croeseides, darics, cyzecenes and so on). I believe there will be a moment when I'll come with this principle from ancients to modern time. This will be a good collection with any volume of coins and this one an endless principle of collecting, and I'll not have any doubts with the holes at album, and I'll not have a problem with budget, because there are a huge volume of coins with different prices just a purse :) Добро_РИ.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    roman99, icerain, Orfew and 3 others like this.
  16. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

This is how I feel. I left the US field due to being dictated to about how I should collect and what constituted a "set". I refuse to be told what I should collect. Therefor I collect what strikes my fancy. There are a few coins I have in mind I would like to buy if I found them, but otherwise I collect whatever pleases me that I find for sale.

17. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Same here. If I can't tell a story about it, I am not generally interested. I will make exceptions for sets of emperors (reign titles, portraits, issued under, etc), coins that are very beautiful (many, MANY coins fall under this category), or my US type set. I don't collect by variety, so minute differences in a type are uninteresting for me.

Tell me: What is historically significant about a 1909 S VDB or 1914 D Lincoln cent?

18. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Can't say I have a ton. Would love more Republics but they are just too hard to get "deals" on in my bracket.

I do need Marc Anthony & Cleopatra coins. Had a cleo, but it never got past customs back in March so I am back to needing her.

Alexander Tet is a biggie I need too & Athens Owl.

Alegandron likes this.
  19. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I agree. This is why I suggested to you to find a focus area(s) that appeal to you (I see you are going after your Spanish Heritage, including the Islamic Caliphate). I found as I collected in my foci, that I found other areas that fit into it. It is BIG FUN searching for coins that focus in your area, then DISCOVER whole new areas that are salient to the areas you are collecting! I then have whole stories I can tell around vignettes of coins.

TIF likes this.
  20. I'm more excited for the rest of your collection fillers than I am my own.

AncientJoe likes this.
  21. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Same here but for me, and like others who have been collecting for a while, things come and go. I once collected only coins depicting Mt. Argaeus. I once only collected sestertii of Hadrian. Dont know why, they just appealed to me. But the danger of being a dealer is that anything can and often does become inventory. I no longer have any of those two types above. There will never be a gap for me as I now have no theme or direction. I just simply buy what I feel I need to have. May be a $10 coin or much more. If the coin 'speaks' to me I answer!

ancientnut, Scalight, GregH and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted