What are halves and dollars used for today?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by RomaniGypsy, Oct 15, 2021.

1. afm1982

afm1982 Miami has the Dolphins...

Just to add my opinions on the OP's question. I keep a handful of halfs in the car and try to work them into smaller cash transactions. On a daily basis, I'll probably spend a few bucks worth. I never get them in change, and I only spend my rejects.

I'd spend more, but it gets heavy using all them coins. Also, you wouldn't pay for a $15-20 meal with all change, would you?

I do get a snarky thrill from messing with cashiers with halfs and two dollar bills. In addition to the normal ignorance and younger cashiers, my area has a large international population who also aren't used to all our denominations of money. About once a month I get a cashier that gets hot under the collar about halfs or twos.

We all play our own games.

Bill H. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I went to the Arcadia, CA show today with three Ikes in my pocket. One of the dealers was lamenting that he didn't bring his usual stash of Ikes which he would hand out to Young Numatistists. I gave him the 3 for $3.

1865King, Bill H. and CoinCorgi like this.
  4. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

I've had some fun with Ike's and half dollars. Between 15 and 20 years ago I took my wife to Europe and brought with me an Ike dollar. I had other US coins too. A few days before coming home we were eating in a small restaurant in Holland the place was great. We had an older woman that was waiting on us. She was fantastic very helpful and spoke pretty good English. Anyway when it came time to pay I pulled out my Dutch money and a hand full of change. In my hand was the Ike dollar I brought with me. As I was paying her she spotted the Ike and asked what it was. I told her it was a US dollar with Ike on it. She said "the general". I told her yes as well as a president. She asked if she could look at it. I handed it to her and told her she could have it. She didn't want to take but, remember seeing him. I told it was ok for her to take it. I told her I wanted her to have it. I told her I have plenty back home. She thanked me as we left and then she showed it to some of the younger workers. Good Times.

-jeffB, Kentucky and Collecting Nut like this.
  5. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

table and chair shims.

Draft saved Draft deleted