What are "Date Palms"?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by tonedcoins, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Tyler G.

Tyler G. Active Member

I've read this several times and still don't know what the numisamatic definition of a date palm is.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

There is non technically. It was posted by a member on CT who is a date palm (tree) arborist(?) and wanted to know if there were any coins which had date palms depicted on them. After which, another member posted a new thread, this one, "What are dates palms?" and then we started in for the kill.

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

For some odd reason this thread reminds me of the guy who FDX'd a package to his Aunt Tilly in the Netherlands and the package wound up in the Netherlands Antilles........

5. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

G, thanks green guy.

6. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

I make a mean Date Nut cookie...:)One question I have...with all the types of fruit producing palms, how would one know that the palm depicted on one's coin or note is a date palm? Don't forget coconuts grow on palms too! Of course there are others..

7. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

It's kinda easy if you know your palms intimately.

Example:

A coin from Iraq with a "date palm"
    Iraq - 100 Fils - 1972
    Iraq - 100 Fils - 1972.jpg

A Coin from Haiti with a "king palm"
    Haiti - 50 Centimes - 1907
    Haiti - 50 Centimes - 1907 - Rev.jpg

A coin from Liberia with a "coconut palm"
    Liberia - 2 Cents - Liberia (pic from Siberian Man)
    9.jpg

A coin from the Gambia with a "sago palm"
    The Gambia - 25 Bututs - 1989 (pic from Siberian Man)
    1.jpg

8. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

9. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

Yes I do! :devil:
    SSPX1590.jpg

10. green18

Well, as long as we's posting palmettos....

[​IMG]

Can't find the South Carolina, dad blame it.......

11. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

I'm not sure that is a palm. Could be a type of cactus.
    If it is a palm, it may be the Texas Sabal Palm tree.

12. green18

My bad.....you're right dear fellow, it's not a palm but rather a yucca tree. Everyone ignore my pic......:)

13. Copper Head

Copper Head Active Member

Date palms are the parts that get sweaty on your first date.

14. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Or after if it was a bad date.

15. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

wow, pulled out a thread and look where it led. lol Yes, English is the only language to spell date (referring to the fruit of the Phoenix dactylifera palm) with one T. In my never to be humble opinion, it would have been better spelled datte, as there is a double T in Arabic and Farsi, to two leading languages from the region were date palms originally came. Would have saved a lot of confusion.
    One of the varieties I grow is Honey date. and we make adate syrup that we call dibbs, or date honey.
    How about a date Honey?
    On a further note, are y'all sure you are old enough to date? lol
    --groan--
    but we digress - - - nice coins! Does anyone know of others with date palms? Most likely would be coins from Middle East or North Africa.

16. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

Outside of those areas, probably not.

Like I posted earlier most others would be Sabal, King or Coconut. It would be a nice challenge though. Post as many coins depicting palm trees as possible.

I would like to see them all.

17. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

I wonder why I didn't think of that. Of course it comes to me now. What a fool I was, Yucca. I see them a lot.

Anyhow, I would sure like to see a Joshua tree on a coin. What a very strange yet majestic tree. I live 50 or so miles from where they grow, yet they won't grow down here.

California needs to produce it's own coinage simply for the trees.

My list of California trees I would like to see on coins. (forgive my California uber alles bias)

1) Giant Sequoia Redwood (Biggest living trees ever to have existed, so far)
    Giant.jpg

2) Coastal Redwood (Tallest tree in the world)
    Coast-Redwood.jpg

3) Bristlecone Pine (Oldest living tree)
    Bristlecone Pine.jpg

4) Joshua Tree (Hitchhicking tree [joking]. It's ancestors hitched a ride on a glacier from the tundra in Canada to the mountains bordering Los Angeles.
    Joshua Tree.jpg

Does anyone have a fav tree(s) in their area (state/country) they would like to see on a coin? Please list!

18. wd40

wd40 Member

umm, comparing English letters to Arabic would be difficult, as Arabic has many letters that has no English equivalent.

also, dates in Arabic are spelled with a single "T" as in "Tamr" like in tamarind, I am sure you know that.

19. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

translation can sometimes be a nightmare ken, in the states you have a dance called the shag, over here if i asked a woman for a shag i would most probably get my face smacked. it is a slang term for sexual intercourse................

20. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

WAYYYY off topic, but why not.
    Everything you wanted to know about dating but were afraid to ask...
    Yes, Aribic to english is rather fraught with trials and tribulations. Take my one variety, spelled Barhi, Barhee, Barhy, Birrhi, and a few other ways. whew. Tamir in Aribic refers to any date that is dry, rather than juicy (rutab), fresh and crunchy (khalal) or green (kimri). When they pronounce the word for date, it has a double t effect. Clearly enough that most other languages have spelled it with a double t when trans-literating the sound of the word. Hindi, French ( https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datte ), Spanish, Dutch, German, to name a few.
    If any of you do want to taste some of my wonderful dates, the new harvest starts mid August and runs through Oct. for most varieties, with the latest one being in January. PM me and I'll put you on my email blast for when the new crop is shipping. We can trade for some ... coin ... --smiles his jolly farmers smile--
    back on topic, found that Israel Sheqal here http://www.israelmint.com/?section=572&product=4176&lineItem=2728 beautiful coin! also available in gold or "proof like"
    any other sources or links to buy coins with date palms?

21. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Side note: In Dutch there is no T (dadel), and in Spanish it's just one (dátil). But the concept of standardized spellings is relatively recent (a few centuries old maybe) anyway. :)

Here is a coin with a palm tree, but one that I find confusing, hehe. http://www.naharnet.com/stories/en/42792-16th-century-treasure-trove-found-on-danish-island That is a story, by a Lebanese news site, about a coin find in Denmark. From what I have read about that Danish treasure, however, such (Phoenician Sicily?) pieces were not found. Maybe some news editor goofed ...

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted