What are cull Morgan/Peace dollars selling for nowadays?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dougmeister, Jul 27, 2021.

1. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

After investigating multiple sources known to normally sell this commodity, I couldn't locate Cull Silver Dollars at less
    than $32.

Several indicated that the commodity isn't available, which may be factual, but that isn't reasonable to me.

JMHO

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

Is anyone besides myself anticipating a flood of estate type items entering the market in the near future? It seems like live estate auctions have taken a huge hit from the pandemic lockdowns over the past year. Meanwhile, there has been this virus ending people's lives, often prematurely and unexpectedly. It just feels like there must be a buildup of inherited estates waiting to be dealt with after the pandemic truly subsides.

John Burgess and Copper lover like this.
  4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I looked at a local pawnshop to see what they were selling common date Morgans and Peace for and was shocked when they said $42 each. The last time I bought dollars back about 15 years ago I was paying about $7-8 each and have a few rolls of them.

Dougmeister likes this.
  5. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

If you buy three at a time my local dealer sells Morgans for $32 and Peace for $30 in F to VF condition.

Gam3rBlake and Dougmeister like this.
  6. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

I paid $780 for 26 F-XF Peace Dollars if that helps.

Or $30 each. I bought them from Portsmouth Coin. The owner Daniel Malone runs the CoinHelpU YouTube channel and forum.

F6A74BB6-7F9F-4853-83E1-2E6B0FA05DC1.jpeg

7. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

A common date Morgan may not be a cull. It comes down to either damage or wear. The $32.00 they are paying is most likely a Fine or better coin not a cull.

8. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

I found this thread subject interesting enough so that I yesterday created a mental challenge for any buyer interested in Silver dollars, placed in metropolis Craigslist.

The metropolis is ~ 1.5 hours to my vicinity from where I'd maximumly meet an urban dweller. If 1 roll was purchased the "no cull" coins would cost $30/, 2 rolls $29/, all 3 rolls $28/. First roll was peace F-AU, 2nd roll 1921 morgan F-AU, 3rd roll peace/morgan roll F-XF.

If the 1st and 2nd roll were purchased together we'd meet ~ half-way, I'd drive ~3/4 distance for a purchase of all 3 rolls.

Within 3 hours, I had a call from a 70+ male who would drive all the way to my locale for a price of $27/.

I will deliver 60 nice dollars tomorrow at a local/close freeway exit.

I believe in putting money upon my words, WIN,WIN for all is best, especially when the buyer asks if I've more to sell.

JMHO

Dougmeister likes this.
  9. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Lately I've seen them at shows selling for $33

Dougmeister likes this.
  10. Ricardo Vales

Ricardo Vales Member

Sorry to hear you have been dealing with dishonest dealers. I know a few dealers that are pretty honest and fair when it comes to buying and selling coins Most, but not all dealers will buy your coins under Greysheet and sell at that Greysheet price. At the moment dealers are paying a lot more to obtain silver and gold bullion. They need keep a roof over there head, so they charge the customer those premiums. It is the market at the moment. There are a lot more honest then dishonest dealers out there, so deal with another dealer. I hope you find an honest dealer to get that bad taste out of your mouth. Dealers like the ones you been dealing with puts a black eye on the hobby.

11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

not selling.

but, whatever...

12. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

I wish I could find a dealer who sold coins at Greysheet prices.

The dealers where I live usually sell at Red Book prices and buy at Blue Book prices.

Draft saved Draft deleted