What are considered War Nickels

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Thomas R Reynolds, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Thomas R Reynolds

Thomas R Reynolds Active Member

I'm trying to get together a set of Jefferson war nickels both BU and FS but am confused about 1942. It seems there is no slot for 1942 Denver. Why! Would someone please list all the dates that are considered war nickels. Also I am seeing a 1941 type 1. Any info on that. Also if anyone has a "Capital War Nickel" holder they wish to part with let me know. Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

42 D was not wartime silver alloy. and some 42-P show to be pre wartime alloy, So 42 P -45 S are wartime nickels I don't know about the type 1.
    Do you have a Guide book of us coins, Redbook?

4. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

The Denver mint only produced type 1 nickels in 1942. Furthermore, War Nickels are primarily distinguished by the prominent mintmark above Monticello's dome and by the dark grey color of circulated pieces.

1942 P,S
    1943 P,D,S
    1944 P,D,S
    1945 P,D,S

War Nickel OBV.PNG

mikenoodle and Santinidollar like this.
  5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

There was no 1942D "silver" war nickels issued and therefore no slot. It was made in the copper/nickel form though. And I assume it was not made in silver because enough quantities of the copper/nickel were made to satisfy consumer needs at that time. I am unaware of a 1941 type 1, but there were 1939 P,D,S type 1's. These had even steps and wavy steps. Other than that there were 1942P,S., 1943 P,D,S., 1944P,D,S, 1945 P,D,S. A total of 11 coins to round out the set but not including any varieties.

6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Sorry folks, did not mean to trip over you, You were posting while I was typing.

7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Slabbed war nickels with FS are readily available on eBay. I stuck with NGC slabs and put together a registry set. It’s a fun project!

mikenoodle and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

What the above posts say. Read the RS Yeoman Red Book. Trying to put together a FS silver nickel set is costly and difficult to say the least. Then you have the varieties.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  9. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I assume you mean 1942 Type 1 as there were only one type in minted in 1941. Here is the breakdown for 1942.

1942-P: Type 1: Regular Nickel
    Type 2: War Nickel w/ large MM
    1942-D: Type 1: Regular Nickel only
    1942-S: Type 2: War Nickel only

Since the Denver & San Francisco mint only issued one type of nickel in 1942, there is no need to differentiate between T1 & T2 Nickels like they do with the 1942-P.

10. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

They are only really expensive at the Registry level of MS67 and above. Most of the set is pretty affordable at MS65-66 range.

Morgandude11 and Santinidollar like this.
  11. Thomas R Reynolds

Thomas R Reynolds Active Member

Thank you guys. I have a number of PCGS registry sets in Lincoln proofs and Roosie FT's but I saw a set of BU FS war nickels in a black capitol holder and they looked stunning. Been wanting to do this for a long time. Now to find a good sale on a capitol Holder.

Thanks again for your input.

12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Good luck! Give us a look when you get done.

13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

There are 2 in the area I live which are difficult in FS MS-64. Plus all 3 varieties.

Draft saved Draft deleted