What Are Coin Weights?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collecting Nut, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Coin weights are weights which were designed to weigh coins in order to assure their quality.

The usage of coin weights, especially glass ones, goes back to Ptolemaic and Byzantine times.?Coin weights were also known in Ancient China.

In Islamic civilization, where they are called Sanadjāt, coin weights are said to have been introduced by a Jew named Sumair in 694. Up to that point coins were only compared to coins of good quality. Islamic coin weights were made of bronze, iron, and later glass (considered to be unalterable). They bear inscriptions related to Islamic rulers and moneyers and are therefore valuable epigraphical objects.

Coins weights were also known in the Carolingian Empire, where they were stamped with regular coin dyes to clarify their attribution. Islamic coin weights were introduced to Great Britain in the 9-10th century CE through the Vikings.

My examples are considered to be early English Coin Weights. The first one is George III. It is 5 pennyweight, 8 grains. It is Counterstamped SK in tiny cartouche on both sides.
    IMG_3883.JPG IMG_3884.JPG
    This one is George IV, 1821 Royal Mint and it is also 5 pennyweight, 8 grains. It was used for gold guinea weight.
    IMG_3885.JPG IMG_3886.JPG
    This one is for the South Seas Co. it is a heavy weight for gold coins. It's very dark and there is a lot of light on it to get these photos.
    IMG_3887.JPG IMG_3888.JPG
    The top weight is on the left. The second weight is in the middle, and the heavy weight for gold coins in on the right. That silver thing on the far right is off my lawn mower. It needs to be replaced but it was enough to hold these weights on end to show them.
    IMG_3890.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

That's neat. I always wondered how they managed to tell the quality of gold coins.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Perhaps @EWC3 might chime in

5. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Nice. I only have this one coin weight from Prussia. I know there are those that specialize in these but I'm not one of them.

GerPru182008.jpg

Danomite, alurid and Collecting Nut like this.
  6. Collecting Nut

This would be how. :) I'd like to find a glass one. That would be cool.

7. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

This is a Islamic glass weight. I did not think it could be a coin weight.
    It is very hard to photograph. It has a very slight green tint.
    20190808_174055.jpg
    20190808_174222.jpg

8. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Just a thought. Since it is glass, maybe a low backlight would enhance it in photographs.

9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I did try that. It must be beyond my photo equipment and skill level.
    I mean it show the tint and impurities in the glass but no inscription.
    20190808_173909.jpg

10. Collecting Nut

It is a glass weight and it looks Islamic. They did make them. I'm sure you read what was in my opening posts about Islamic weights.

Danomite and alurid like this.
  11. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Muzyck and Collecting Nut like this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Nice article and what a wonderful collection of glass Coin Weights. I'm going to have to search to find a glass one at a reasonable price.

13. Collecting Nut

Those glass ones are on the pricy side.

alurid likes this.
  14. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I like your metal coin weight better than the glass ones.

15. Collecting Nut

I'd like to get a few that are different. :)

alurid likes this.
  16. Collecting Nut

I can not believe the amount some of these bring. I'm also having a hard time with just how many types there are. It's strange that you just don't see or hear about them.

Chris B likes this.
  17. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

I originally thought these two were Asian gaming tokens, but now I'm thinking they may be glass coin weights. What do you guys think? As for what they weigh, I have no idea, if i can find them in a reasonable amount of time I'll let you know.

IMG_7650 (Custom).JPG IMG_7651 (Custom).JPG IMG_7654 (Custom).JPG IMG_7653 (Custom).JPG

alurid, Chris B and Collecting Nut like this.
  18. Collecting Nut

Beefer518 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted