What Alexander ?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 7Calbrey, Jul 20, 2017.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I can read Alexandroy on reverse of this Greek coin. The portrait on the obverse is acceptable, but I couldn't make sure which Alexander I have at hand. Zebinas, Ballas, The Great(III) or other ? It weighs 6.64 g. Thank you. Alx O 001.jpg Alxd R 001.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Looks like two competing designs that are over struck.

7Calbrey likes this.
  4. 7Calbrey

Can't we at least guess which Alexander do we have here ?

5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar enough with the different busts of the different Alexanders...but are we sure that's supposed to be an Alexander?

7Calbrey likes this.
  6. 7Calbrey

@J8.
    I can read Alexander in Greek to the left of reverse.

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

My first thought was Alexander I Balas of Seleukia. It certainly looks Seleukid but as @David@PCC pointed out, it also has a bit of an overstruck look. Perhaps that's just an artifact of wear plus terrible low resolution scan.

Charles Charles Charles... what happened to your camera? :D You were starting to get pretty good with it. I think better images of this coin would help us out, so if you have time, try taking some good pictures of this coin. Also, the diameter might be helpful because weights can vary quite a bit due to flan thickness variations.

I'm not very knowledgable of Seleukid coins. Maybe someone else on the board could tell you who/what this is at a quick glance.

Mikey Zee and 7Calbrey like this.
  8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I'm not sure 7C, but I really think it's a Seleucid coin...so I vote not Alexander III.

7Calbrey likes this.
  9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Here's my Alexander Balas:

[​IMG]
    Alexander Balas, 150-146 BC
    AE18, 5g, 12h; Antioch mint.
    Obv.: Head of Alexander right, in lion skin headdress.
    Rev.: BAΣIΛEΩΣ AΛEΞANΔΡOY; Apollo standing left, holding bow and arrows, palm branch in left field, monogram below.

Ajax, Mikey Zee, Andres2 and 7 others like this.
  10. 7Calbrey

Thanks a lot. I shall recharge my camera tomorrow after a long sleep. Then many photos of newly-acquired coins will be posted, including my coin above.

Jwt708 likes this.
  11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to them!

7Calbrey likes this.
  12. 7Calbrey

Here it is. Better late than never. Other coins will follow. CamAlex R.JPG CamAlex O.JPG

13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Sorry, Charles-- I spend a little bit of time and couldn't find it but I can't quite understand the coin's reverse, so maybe I'm not using the right keywords or not browsing the right kingdom. I'm not certain that the reverse spells Alexander either. I see what is probably ΛΕ (downward to the left of the figure) but it's tough to make the rest of the name fit. David may very well be right about it being an overstruck coin, with features of both showing and causing confusion.

Is that a river god swimming at the bottom of the reverse, or just an artifact of wear and strike?

Maybe someone else will be able to nail it down.

7Calbrey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted