What about your state sales tax laws?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cpm9ball, Jun 1, 2011.

1. 2schnauzers2luv

2schnauzers2luv Junior Member

There is no sales tax here in Oregon. However, the state has their ways of pulling in money in other ways. Here the electric cars are starting to become quite popular. I heard beginning in 2014, owners of the cars will be taxed heavy per mile driven. Seen a guy with a t-shirt on the other day that had a picture of the state of Oregon. T-shirt read "More Green Than What You Think." Uh....really.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I reside in the State of NY. If I buy (win) an auction off of Heritage I'm charged the sales tax as Heritage Actions has an office in NY (NYC?). If I buy (win) on Teletrade, no sales tax as they don't maintain an NY presence.......

Oh, and yes.....if I do buy at a local dealer I do get zonked with the tax.......

4. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

In Illinois we don't pay sales tax on coins. If I go to the local coin shop I only pay sales tax on supplies if I buy them.

5. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

So who lives in Maryland?
    I am going up there later this year, and want to shop some dealers.
    If they charge tax, I'll just skip it.
    I refuse to pay taxes on what is already money.

6. au and ms coins

au and ms coins Junior Member

+1 :)

7. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

You could ship your Ha.com wins to me... ;)

8. DMiller

DMiller Junior Member

If I make an online purchase from a dealer/ebayer who's also in CA, it's generally cheaper for it to be shipped to my folks in IL, then have them send it to me. Not sure if this is use tax evasion or not, but CA taxes are just so ridiculous....

9. SWThirteen

SWThirteen Needs a 24/7 Coin Shop

Wouldn't the government make more money taxing the non-electric car drivers? It would also encourage more people to get an electric or hybrid car.

10. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

I know this topic is about the US, and I am not familiar with how it is done there. But where I live, there is a difference between money that you get at face (no VAT) and other money. With gold coins it depends.

Christian

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Thanks for bringing the oversight to my attention. I had my horse blinders on and was thinking only in the terms as it applies to bullion coins like gold and silver eagles.

Chris

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I believe the same holds true for France. I occasionally make purchases from the French Mint. If anyone within the Economic Union orders from them, there is a Valued Added Tax (VAT) where there is no VAT for orders outside of the EU.

Chris

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The problem is most states get a large portion of their road repair money for the tax on gasoline and that tax is a set amount per gallon. Higher gas prices means people are buying fewer gallons. Higher mileage vehicles mean fewer gallons. Electric cars means NO gallons. All of that adds up to less money available for road repair. So some states are looking at switching to a mileage tax to increase revenue from the fuel efficient cars and the electrics. Typical government, on one hand they encourage a course of action, and then they penalize you if you take that course.

14. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

Like the Waterboy's mother says: VAT is the DEVIL!

Taxes on taxes... we can never let that happen here.

15. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

In Maryland I've never paid taxes on coin/currency purchases only pay taxes on supplies.

Texas John, thats a very coll avatar. Will you reply with some information about it? I've got to get one of those.

Thanks

16. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

NY taxes everything.

Even the air we breath is taxed.

17. cannoncoins

cannoncoins New Member

18. Copper Head

Copper Head Active Member

In Texas you are charged sales tax on any bullion purchases over $1000.

19. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

If a seller charges a customer sales tax - they seller owes the money to the state. It doesn't matter whether the item sold was exempt from sales tax or not. The reason is the buyer has the right to apply for refund from the state for the erronously charged tax.

Many state sales tax codes allow for city and county sales tax charges. A lot of these state codes cap the city and county tax at a specific gross transaction amount. In other words - say you buy 2 ounces of gold for $3100.00 and the city county cap is $1500.00. You owe state, county, city sales tax on the 1st $1500.00 of the sale and just state sales tax on the additional $1600.00 of the sale.

Draft saved Draft deleted