What about Ikes? Worth searching?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by JJK78, Mar 10, 2016.

1. JJK78

JJK78 Member

So I just sold a few collectible coins and was paid in Ike dollars. 945 of them to be precise.
    There may be a few nice ones in there but I'm not seeing any silver which is all I would care about but I know there are a few errors in the series. Is it worth searching them for the high reliefs? Is there any value in circulated ikes over face or should I just take them to the bank?
    Thanks
    J

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

tommyc03 and JJK78 like this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Most of us who are roll searchers would consider this to be a very nice way of getting paid. Certainly search them out. Not only for high relief but for die cracks, and other possible errors and varieties. You may just find something not yet reported. If you do so, please get back to us on any finds or anything you are not sure of, along with photos.

Kasia likes this.
  5. JJK78

JJK78 Member

Thanks guys,

I have definitely searched some rolls but usually for silver and copper, also when I had more spare time but haven't done it in a few years. I'll probably go through them tonight when I get home and see what I've got and i'll report back!
    Thanks
    J

tommyc03 likes this.
  6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I would search them and they're so far from what I collect.

I think it's kinda weird to get paid in Ikes.

JJK78 likes this.
  7. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Search, search, and then search again .
    023.jpg

JJK78 and tommyc03 like this.
  8. JJK78

JJK78 Member

Well took a look through them this evening and found a few worth pulling out. All I looked for were 72's and 76's, I don't have the patience to try and look for doubled dies etc.
    Found 9 of the '76 type Type 1's but they are all Denver mint.
    Found circulated 74 and 76 S proofs, no silver though.
    Did find a nice little 73 D in good shape
    I may have found a few 72 type 2's but can't seem to get my dino-lite working on my new computer to confirm it. I'll try and bring it to work tomorrow and see if I can get it going.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  9. JJK78

JJK78 Member

Got my dino lite working at work today and looks like 4 of the 72's are high relief. 2 of them are probably AU or better with one possibly au59-ms60~
    All together not shabby but nothing super special.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  10. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Here's a 71-S proof I'm working on, Obverse has Tripling .
    IDDDO136x001xIN (640x480)-horz.jpg IDDDO136x003xOD (640x480)-horz.jpg IDDDO136x005xWE (640x480)-horz.jpg IDDDO136x009xTR (480x640)-horz.jpg IDDDO136x011xTR (480x640)-horz.jpg IDDDO136x013xS (480x640)-horz.jpg IDDDO136x015xST (480x640)-horz.jpg IDDDO136x018xR (640x480)-horz.jpg
    The Reverse also has Tripling too .
    Still have to take those images ...

tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted