What about eBay?

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by jody526, Jan 30, 2005.

1. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

Sorry, not responsible for the ad links

I just noticed that my previous contribution contains 4 advertising links. Not my responsibility, I didn't do it! No opinion if the sites named are good or bad.
    anybody know how this stuff happens?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

ad links

5 minutes later, now the links are gone. Who did what?

4. mruetz

mruetz Junior Member

my guess is the ad links are generated automatically by this website as a source of revenue

5. 51goodkarma

51goodkarma Mustard Seed

I totally agree

As an eBay seller of collectibles, including coins that I have not added to my store yet, people want to get over on you. I just had a customer that purchased a 1976 character glass (the only one I had in stock) and he indicated that the glass was extremely faded. IMPOSSIBLE..the glass was shiny and bright inside and out, no chips and no cracks. I was basically held hostage to give this purchaser the cost of the glass back and when I asked for a return of my merchandise (that he did not want), he indicated that he had thrown it away. So much for eBay assisting the sellers.

6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Your so right my friend!! I had a similar instance with a cable box, Buyer told
    Pay-pal (also Known as E-bay) that the box was locked, I indicated this in
    The add, They not only refunded him the money but he kept the box as
    Well talk about getting "SCREWED" :(

7. Blueindian65

Blueindian65 Member

To the ebay haters

Could you all cry more? :rolling: Like other people have said open a store that gets millions of customers a day and you can charge what ever you want. Hell pay rent/ Inventory tax/ Employment Tax LLC fees ect ect ect. It is a hard knock life in busniess and if you can't hack it well you don't need to stay in the market, Or Open a store front. Pay for advertising/ Rent/ and all the other cost and see how long you make it, or file chapert 11 like most retail sotres have this past year. I buy on ebay and yes I deal hunt like a mother. I only buy slabed coins and only bid 30 to 50 % of pcgs price guide. Cavet Emptor no more.

I Bet a not a damn one of you has an accurate inventory list you pay taxes on.

Ebay on the other hand spends 2 billion dollars a quarter to stay open. So please stop the Hate

8. mpcusa

More crying? I will be more then happy to do so! As part of my previous
    Statement, I was a seller on e-bay for over 7 years and have seen it all
    As part of there new way to do business, I first saw them discontinue the
    Feedback rights of the seller, This is the most idiotic rule i have ever seen!!
    And it leaves the seller open to basic extortion practices which i have been
    Subject to on more then one occasion!! Then they raise there fee,s again
    (Big Suprise!) And then they top it off by requiring pay-pal payments before
    You list!! TALK ABOUT A MONOPOLY !! BY THE WAY IF YOU DONT ALL READY
    KNOW E-BAY OWNS PAY-PAL!!
    So before you start tooting e-bay,s horn!! Look at this from a sellers prospective!!

9. divinemine

divinemine Junior Member

Ebay is a good place to look and hunt. But not always the best deals, but you do have to consider that they are credit card prices.

10. Blueindian65

Blueindian65 Member

First: Ebay is a public company whos ethical responsablity is to generate profit for its share holderes. If they have to increase fees to increase returns for there investors so be it. It cost 8 billion dollars a year to run ebay. Look at their ballance sheet

I understand that you sold on ebay for 8 years. I've never had an e-bay store, but have also used ebay sense 2002 and have bought and sold items on e-bay.

Yes ebay owns pay pal. I love pay pal. It is an efficent safe way to send money. Again if you had a brick an mortor store you would pay between 2 and 1/2 percent to 5 percent on every transaction to run a credit card. So what is the big deal? Intuit (the makers of quick books) make a large percentage of there profits threw credit card processing this is not unique to ebay. Call Autherize.net and try and get a credit account that excepts e-checks and get back to me.

Second
    80 % of small busniess go bankcrupt. Busniess is hard. If your service has a place in the market it will last. If not it won't. Thats life!

Think about it. You don't have to charge sales tax unless its an instate sale

you get access to millions of potential customers.

If you drive busniess to your store outside of e-bay they will cut your fees.

No employes to pay or employment taxes

How are you getting worked? Ebay saves you money

Sory you got screwed on an item. Mark it up as a loss and write it off your taxes, or here is a noble idea. Call an AG and report the user as a theif it can happen, but no company in the history of the world is going to stop customers form comming to there website. Why should e-bay be differnt?

If you want to move more murchandise why not make your own website and A) link it to e-bay and also try paying for clicks on google.

Or data mine your customers on ebay and generate repeat busniess. http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/spam/business.htm It is not illegal to send busniess e-mails you just have to follow the law it works.

I personly send out 2K + e-mails a month to list I get to keep my company in peoples mind, and guess what it works.

Constant Contact is also a great marketing tool.There are lots of ways to make money, but compaling that your profit margins are two small when you have funcutaly zero overhead is not one of them. Also If someone stole something form you I know for a fact you can put. This person stole my item cancle their bid.

And you can write off e-bay fees as a busniess expeense. Hell get an Amex Busniess card and link it to your pay pal account so that you can get the bonus points. Lots of busniess people do this and pay for vacations ect. I don't know what your FICA score is, but surly you can get a credit card with a 2K credit limit and a decent reward program.

Finaly buy good software for your busniess that tracks your accounting and invetory cost ect so you can get a true cost of busniess, and see what your margins are.

One last thing. Why not use bing to buy your murchandise. You can get a 2500 dollar a year discount on coins bullion ect. that will def not hurt.

11. Blueindian65

Blueindian65 Member

can't edit above post

For some reason I can not edit the above post I typed it really fast, so yes I realize some of it is missing a few words. I'll clarifiey anything people are confused about

12. Blueindian65

Blueindian65 Member

One more thought. I talked with a man that owns a paw shop who is buying 800 dwt of gold a week and making money hand over fist selling to a local coin dealer in my city. He runs an add on local sports talk that says if you find a better price i'll pay you 100 dollars. He said he has never paid it out. Why not try something like this yourself. I know it has noathing to do with ebay, but hey it will put money in your pocket.

13. Stravage

Stravage Junior Member

Hi - My first time post
    Where I come from NYC its against the law to buy Gold and Silver (For resale that is) without a license. (You need a second hand license Its a very stiff fine if you get caught SECONDHAND DEALER GENERAL (006)
    With in the last past week I purchased (On ebay) 100 Morgans from a company in SF 20% of the coins were in POOR shape I will never do that again My wife tell me if you cant see them and hold them don't buy - them she is right of course as for Slab coins PCGS coins seem to be ok buy that said the Morgan's I have seen on ebay have much to be desired bad bag marks on the coins even in higher grades ms65 you have to see and read every word on these listings many coin dealers have been at this a long time and one missed word could put you out big bucks they do know how to push the envelope. here is a web site that should help you with dealers.
    http://www.bzzagent.com/ap/ApHome.d...ent=toolhaus-lets-you-check-negative-feedback
    Just enter ebay user ID and get the real low down on a ebayer before buying I use it most of the time, you would think when spending 1,900.00 I would of looked up the ID if I had I would not of bought from this dealer for sure,
    Jack Stravage

PS My love is for All coins Silver I never sell Just Buy, Buy Buy

14. mpcusa

This subject gives me a headache!!! You can say what you want postive
    About e-bay and pay-pal but the bottom line is there is way more negatives
    Especially for someone that has or had a store on there!!

15. Siggi Palma

Siggi Palma Well-Known Member

Actaully I disagree, and i´m a seller on ebay and have a store. There are more possitive things then negative. That´s why I do it.

16. mpcusa

To each its own!

17. Siggi Palma

Siggi Palma Well-Known Member

Correect !

18. diocletian

diocletian Senior Member

I'm sorry but If the buyer didn't send the item back with either delivery confirmation or signature confirmation, how were you held hostage?

Paypal will side with the buyer only after the item is returned with the buyer using one of the above.

19. mpcusa

E-bay, There,s no protection for the seller!! The buyer has all the
    Control when talking feedback and the seller has none!!

20. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Ant that the truth :kewl:

21. franke

franke Junior Member

Hello
    I started using ebay when items that I offered for sale on other websites,did not sell very well. Those same items did sell very well on ebay.
    I made enough easy money to get involved in spending some.I am now buying US pennies.I like ebay for both buying and selling.
    I do NOT like PayPal.It is overbearing and overly agressive in taking charge of client' accounts.This was done to me:blocked my bank account,by reinstalling the two diddly amount transferral rule;after I had validated the account and transferred another $100.00.against my will,hooked me up with a credit card.I had not given any credit card data to them;they searched the web,and found one that I used in the past.However,it had expired,and any deal involving it would result in an 'insufficient fund' fee.
    I live in a state that is famous for it's high tax rate;I can handle the fees from ebay.For now,at least,I will put up with PayPal also.
    Frank

Draft saved Draft deleted