What about eBay?

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by jody526, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Gail

Gail Junior Member

I totally agree, and recently I havent been getting bids on my auctions until the last possible second because no one wants to pay what the coin is actually worth. I thought maybe I was starting some of my stuff too high so I put a couple on for 0.99 and had like 3 watchers for 5 days and then bam, at the last second someone got a barber half from me for 0.99 plus 2.50 shipping. I've also noticed recently that after I list some auctions my stuff doesnt show up in the search results till the next day which was never an issue before so I don't know. I've gotta start doing something different I guess

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. giorgio11

giorgio11 Senior Numismatist

@GDJSMP With all due respect, you need a new coffeemaker. The profit margins were slim, but I never had a problem with a check or money order. Many were from repeat customers, and I seldom held up a coin shipment more than 3-4 days to clear the funds. Now PayPal is the only option (although eBay won't allow me to say that publicly), and the margin of profit has gone from an average of 6% in a good week to 0%, the other bit being the free shipping I now have to pay for to get higher search rankings. Je refuse.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Most of the coins I buy today are from ebay. I do as much research on a particular coin and look for counterfeit issues thanks to helpful posts on various coin forums. So far I have been lucky.

It also helps I tend to buy mid grade & sometimes low grade coins. Ive got alot of rim dings & some diggs.

5. sweet wheatz

sweet wheatz Senior Member

The prices on common coins are outragious. http://www.seeauctions.com/show_item/124840/

6. waffles

waffles Junior Member

cleaning

I was buying coins on ebay that when I sent to be graded and encapsulated were returned as having been cleaned.I prefer them already graded and encapsulated now.

7. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Waffles has good point! But on ebay this what I do for a raw coin.
    1 take time and get a coin & date in mind do a search.that has just been listed .
    2 sometimes you find some nice raw coin but the key is not just snipe a coin.look ahead

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I dont mind buying some problem coins, even cleaned *only have 1*. I get what my disposable $ allows at the given time.

9. 1954silvertoo

1954silvertoo Junior Member

if you buy a 1999 silver proof set from ebay i hope that you don't find out about 5 year latter when you open it that it had been opened before and filled back with clad coins.it's very easy to do.

10. pondman

pondman Junior Member

and the margin of profit has gone from an average of 6% in a good week to 0%

One of the things nobody has mentioned is the fact you can sit in your living room and watch television while doing your buying and selling! Unless someone comes in your window with a gun to rob you, its relatively safe. Try going to a coin show in the U.S. in such a place as San Jose or Pasadena and see if you make it to your car without being robbed.

In any business you are going to have problems. You have to find the right items and can't expect to be a 99 cent seller.

I buy and sell on ebay--daily!. There is no place on earth I could do this.

The big issue for me isn't the fees. I have more of an issue with the fraud and mis-representation.

11. buzzard

buzzard Active Member

Totally agree with this-- set your prices where you want them and they will sell as long as they are in reason and far as shipping I always charge for shipping unless it is a hot item like the Lincoln Chronicles set where there is a lot of profit. I have sold several coins on Ebay and had very few problems where else are you going to get World wide customers.

12. hiho

hiho off to work we go

I agree 100%.

Ebay was great back in 1999, but most things were great back then. The low fees were almost too good to be true.

If you are selling decent coins you will usually get your price, and if you restrict sales to US buyers you'll rarely have any trouble.

I have stopped selling to China and Russia due to bad experiences, but most European countries have decent postal systems and most Europeans are honest.

Ebay still works, and if you complain to your wife, she'll just roll her eyes and mutter "Yes dear...":rolleyes:

13. Siggi Palma

Siggi Palma Well-Known Member

[/QUOTE]I have stopped selling to China and Russia due to bad experiences, but most European countries have decent postal systems and most Europeans are honest.[/QUOTE]

So every single american is a honest person ? HA HA

14. weryon

weryon World traveler - In Thailand

I have stopped selling to China and Russia due to bad experiences, but most European countries have decent postal systems and most Europeans are honest.[/QUOTE]

So every single american is a honest person ? HA HA[/QUOTE]

I think he is talking about the postal system , for exemple ; if you were to send a 2 lbs gold brick to Italy there is a slight "and by slight I mean big" chance that the item will be lost in the mail.

Some postal systems in the world are truly a joke , I'm not saying that UPS and Canada Post are great , but at least they are semi-responsible for lost and damaged goods.

15. Siggi Palma

Siggi Palma Well-Known Member

So every single american is a honest person ? HA HA[/QUOTE]

I think he is talking about the postal system , for exemple ; if you were to send a 2 lbs gold brick to Italy there is a slight "and by slight I mean big" chance that the item will be lost in the mail.

Some postal systems in the world are truly a joke , I'm not saying that UPS and Canada Post are great , but at least they are semi-responsible for lost and damaged goods.[/QUOTE]

Well he made a special comment about the postal system, It´s just how some peopel think I guess. We Icelanders sure think we are the best most of the time.

But I know what you are talking about with the postal system. I have been lucky with my shipments as far as no one being lost. The only one that did was in the us. They say that 0.05% of shipemts get lost in the post all others are stolen or get misplaced.

16. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

Ebay buyer's point of view

I live in Germany and buy most of my coins on Ebay, so far with no great problem. I've learned I have to look out for the notice if French sellers won't mail outside metropolitan France, but otherwise have had no problem. Ive never bought a slabbed coin (though I have a few my father left me), and anyway European coins are seldom slabbed--this seems to be an obsession with Americans, who only have about 250 years of history to go back to, and compensate by obsession with minute variations in mint states. With a coin from 1750 it's still a judgement call whether the coin is very fine or extremely fine, but not beyond the capability of ordinary mortals.

How bad are the Paypal fees? I know some sellers don't accept Paypal, and over here one can do direct bank transfers (also from the comfort of one's living room) as an alternative.

17. waffles

waffles Junior Member

I just put something on with a buy it now price and the logo disappears the minute some places a bid,even$.99 cents.They placed the bid just a few minutes after my auction listed.So for 6 more days there will no buy it now offer seen on it.

18. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Ditto!! Closed my e-bay store!! Enough sad!! Getting butt reamed by those
    Clowns everytime you turn around plus pay-pal give me a break!! Who
    Owns Pay-pal? Guess!! E- what??

19. LibreCoin

LibreCoin Junior Member

As a buyer on eBay, one can do fairly well with the www.bing.com cashback (currently 8%). Combine it with ebates.com (2%) and then eBay Bucks (2% if you've been invited), and I've got a 12% discount. Occasionally the Bing cashback jumps to 15 or 20%. And when that happens (yesterday) my wallet empties pretty fast on your overpriced BINs. Both buyer & seller do well, at the expense of Microsoft (owner of bing).

As a seller, yes the fees are high, but I'm more concerned with the near monopoly they have on payment - PayPal or the highway pal. Someone needs to start an online trade/auction site with freedom of payment.

20. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Here is the best site I found to sell on
    www.Monstercoins.com
    Free no eBay junk just all graded coin by Anacs Ngc Icg Pcgs

21. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Hi guys!! fed up with e-bay!! like me try ebid.net moved my store there
    A one time fee of $49.00 get,s you free listings and no seller fees!! for
    Life!!

Draft saved Draft deleted