What about eBay?

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by jody526, Jan 30, 2005.

1. koen

koen New Member

i never ever ever used ebay before.
    but i gues i will have to if i want some more coins in my collection.
    Problem is i never realy trusted buying of ebay, i heard there are lots of people scamming
    so i always been affraid to buy something there

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fred13

fred13 Junior Member

I completely agree with you on the matter

4. koen

koen New Member

by the way, any of you know how to filter out items that only are shiped worldwide?
    I am searching on ebay for coins but most of the time shipment is only US
    I tried with advanced search, but that didnt work, it still gives US only shipments to

5. fred13

fred13 Junior Member

I don't know how they do things where your from but in my part of the woods we use logic and know how to read. If a seller asks to be contacted by a bidder with less then 10 bids he must be contacted. I see no resdon why the bidder can't. If he doesn't he must be looking to create trouble. I don't know why everyone is agagainst rush here. It's beyond my intuition but regardless

6. nejeff

nejeff New Member

You can set up your auctions to disallow bidders with under 5 positive feedbacks. Apparently yours are not set up that way...

7. fred13

fred13 Junior Member

The magic number remains at ten

8. nejeff

nejeff New Member

The easiest way to screen your bidders is to skip the auction and do buy it now with best offer option. If they pay your full asking you set it up for immediate payment, no problem. If they make offer then you can see who your dealing with (best offer does not have immediate payment option obviously) and disallow or block bidders you do not want to trade with

9. maxxy_coin

maxxy_coin New Member

I hate the fees on Ebay. Their absolutely greed for money is insane. Paypal on the other hand charges 2.9% plus 30cents per transactions.

10. MercuryDimes

MercuryDimes New Member

11. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

On the left hand side, after you search, it gives you a bunch of different filter options. Just scroll down until you find the shipping filter, I'm pretty sure there's one you can check for worldwide shipping.

12. koen

koen New Member

i cant find a shiping filter.
    I can select location, but even then when i select worldwide it give us shipment only items to.

13. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

I agree about ebays greed. But is this a good place to start buying or is the other auctions tht are recommemded. I am just getting started and ebay prices are above the silver value, I guess you buy higher than the silver value in hopes it goes up someday? thanks in advanced for any negative or positive replies.

14. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

If you know what you are doing and are careful, eBay is the best place to buy coins other than the rarities. If you don't know what you are doing, tend to fly off the handle, or are squeamish about the occasional problem you will have to take care of, then you need to stay away. Reading between you lines, my comments have to do with numismatics and probably have nothing to do with bullion.

15. JBGood

JBGood Collector of coinage Supporter

16. mmablaster

mmablaster Member

17. Atomic Morgan

Atomic Morgan Member

18. Gregory87

Gregory87 New Member

I don't sell on eBay as their fees are way too high, it makes all the profits gone. Only use paypal for safe.

19. DC_Coins

DC_Coins New Member

I buy and sell on ebay. I have not had any problem with coins. The biggest problem for me has been sellers who take a long time to ship. They will mark something as shipped but take another week for the item to actually ship.

20. Paul_62

Paul_62 Just takin' it one day at a time

I agree. I have had experience with sellers that have taken over a week to ship. I've bought most of my coins over ebay for the last year, and am way more careful now than I was. I haven't had a bad experience, only once did I give bad marks to a seller because the coin wasn't the grade he said it was. I stick to sellers today that have 99.8% to 100% positive feedback, check out the latest feedback for the seller, and try to look for the lowest (hopefully free) shipping charges. I have some friends that sell on ebay and have cut back considerably due the charges, and complain that the system is all weighted toward the buyer. I may be more sympathetic toward the seller than most. But being careful is the watch-word, if it doesn't feel right with a particular seller, don't do it. Another deal will come along

21. jolumoga

jolumoga Active Member

In general, eBay prices are inflated, but if you use its search engine properly and sort by lowest price first for what you are specifically looking for, you can easily find slabbed coins well under the greysheet values. You can also check the rating and background of a seller to decide if he or she is trustworthy. The main problem I find with eBay is that AU coins are often called BU, and I observe general grade inflation.

Draft saved Draft deleted