What a difference photography makes

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by RomanTheRussian, Jul 26, 2015.

1. RomanTheRussian

RomanTheRussian Well-Known Member

Was going to keep scrolling past this one on eBay, but decided to look-up the certificate number at PCGS and saw it was photographed for Coin Facts. That photo convinced me to put a bid in, which ended-up winning the lot.

Seller's photos:

[​IMG][​IMG]

PCGS coin facts photo:
    [​IMG]

brg5658, Hispanicus, jj00 and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Really hope it looks closer to the Coin Facts photo!

green18 likes this.
  4. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

I question whether it's the same coin. On the M over M, the top M is clearly separated from the upper left edge of the shield, on the TPG image, but not on the OP's coin.

Also compare the lions' tails in the upper right quadrant of the shield.

5. RomanTheRussian

RomanTheRussian Well-Known Member

It's the same - check out the die break on the reverse that runs through the 8 and through the top of the mint mark. It's present on both coins.

Jwt - the truth is always somewhere in-between. Having said that, Phil at PCGS Photo does great work and I'm sure there's a way to tilt that coin towards the light that would bring exactly those colours out.

Jwt708 likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Tilting the coin is not the best way because it would make the coin look elliptical. Wouldn't axial lighting be better?

Chris

7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I love both photos of the same coin....

Interesting how some of us grave after coins with colored tinting and others only desire the chocolate brown patinas...and how certain lighting conditions can significantly alter the impression (or reality) of a coin.

I love it in either of its true forms, especially since I have a few 8 Reales but long ago had to sell that particular type 'pillar' dollar and I don't recall it being in that high a grade...

Congrats R-T-R !!!

8. sambyrd44

sambyrd44 Well-Known Member

real nice coin. I greatly prefer the coin facts image.

9. doppeltaler

doppeltaler Well-Known Member

Isn’t coin facts photo misleading or is it just me don't see that tone in seller's picture ?

10. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

I'm pretty sure Phil uses tilt-shift lenses. It allows one to tilt the coin into the light, but keep the surface of the coin perfectly perpendicular to the lens (i.e., no elliptical shape).

Axial is an absolute nightmare to actually set up, and requires a decent amount of tinkering between each coin. There is no way that Phil could do the throughput that he does with TrueViews using axial photography.

I don't personally care for the look of most TrueViews because they are flooded with too much light, often making the surfaces impossible to assess. I also find TrueViews to be red-shifted, and very oversaturated. Most are artistically appealing (glamour shots), but rarely reflect the "first impression" look of a coin in hand.

With regard to the OP's new coin -- that is a wonderful looking coin. As compared to the seller's pics, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the in-hand look. But, I don't think it will be quite as "sexed up" as the TrueViews.

-Brandon

Volante likes this.
  11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

That's interesting, Brandon. I've never heard of tilt-shift lenses, but then I'm not
    a very good photographer. Thanks for the info. Just out of curiosity, what method do you use? I've seen some of your toned photos, and they looked pretty nice.

Chris

12. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

The above discussion is why I appreciate the PCGS and NGC picture certification.

guy

13. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Phil (and the rest of the PCGS photo staff) have the unique luxury of not having the coin in the slab when they shoot it, obviating the need for a tilt-shift lens. A tilt-shift lens is not easy to use, and is absolutely not an "assembly line" piece of equipment. To wit, it would greatly reduce his throughput.

14. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Very true about shooting raw coins. Nor is axial lighting an assembly line piece of equipment.

Are PCGS pics slightly off of full round then? The images are clearly taken with the coin tillted. John have you actually seen the PCGS photography room and processes? I would love to see pics or know details of how they image so many coins per day.

15. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I haven't seen their setup, although I'd like to. If I had nothing but raw coins to shoot, I'd probably use bigger lights, higher up. That would give something pretty close to axial lighting while also allowing you to move them a little to show luster when appropriate. They'd also be on flexible arms so that I could easily move them up, down, and around.

Draft saved Draft deleted