What a difference large bronze coins makes

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

The coin to the left, a denarius, is pretty much the average size of the silver coins in my collection. It's thin, small, and at 3g not very heavy indeed. I thought my little old silver coins felt great in the hand. Well, ignorance is bliss.

I learned today holding my two new chunky bronzes that size and thickness do matter...and so does weight. Ok people, get your heads out of the gutter and allow me to explain...I'm looking especially at you @Smojo , LOL ;)

IMG_0498 (2).JPG Ptolemy III AE40, Gordian III AE sestertius, and Diva Faustina denarius

These massive bronzes may not be shinny, and may not be as eye catching as a shinny piece of silver, but they don't have to be because that's not their main charm. Please note that I'm not suggesting the style and themes depicted on them are not exciting...because they are. However, I believe the wow factor comes from the tactile feel of holding a large, substantial, heavy, and imposing chunk of metal in your hands. And that's something that most silver coins fail to deliver on. The tetradrachms certainly come very close though.

IMG_0499.JPG
    In this photo I'm holding the Gordian III sesterius and thinking "Oh my God, the feel and weight of this coin are amazing. It can't possibly get any better than this! :cool:

IMG_0501.JPG
    But then I held this massive fat ancient Egyptian hockey puck and said "Wow, just wow! What took me so long? This is incredible. I should have been buying me some of these large and sweet ancient bronzes years ago."

Don't believe me? Try one. If you are not blown away by the tactile feel alone (don't even analyze the fact that these beautiful bronzes have great artwork and are extremely wonderful works of art) then there is something wrong with you. These coins are truly a pleasure to own, and an even greater pleasure to hold.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    TJC, Deacon Ray, dlhill132 and 28 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I couldn't agree with you more @Sallent....but large Tets are pretty cool too;) Uh oh, Are we back in the gutter again?!?:eek::D

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Yep, bigger is better, heh? Nice looking. Maybe now you'll stay away from my silver RR coins.

Jwt708 and Sallent like this.
  5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That's probably why most of my coins are bronze!

Sallent likes this.
  6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

... why did you call-out "Smojo"?

o_O

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  7. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

@Sallent[/USER] get your hands on some nice Alexandrian Tet bronzes. Smallish in diameter but thick and chunky.
    I am trying to reshoot some pics but here is an older pic that don't hurt the eyes to much.
    Diocletian
    20mm, 8.1g
    20161219_191855.jpg
    Had a tech problem but think I fixed it

8. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

What about big gold coins?
    20 stater.jpg
    Weight: 169.2 gm., Diam: 58 mm., Die axis: 12 h
    http://currencies.wikia.com/wiki/Greco-Bactrian_20_stater_coin

(not mine yet)
    I could melt it down for over $6000

But i have a few big bronze coins

ptolemy ii_zps4y7f7u8e.jpg 84 grams + 46mm, (too big won't even fit in a coin flip)

justinian.jpg
    38 millimeters and 23 grams,

jeusus.jpg
    36mm 17 grams

IMG_1391.jpg

32mm 27g

9. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Would you rather I had called you out? LOL. Was your mind in the gutter? I was just teasing Smojo. I'm sure he didn't take it personally.

stevex6 and Smojo like this.
  10. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

You all know the nice clean me. Share a few pm's you find out I'm just another dirty minded old guy, lol :D

11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

It's like a whole new real has opened!

I'll toss out a couple big 'ole bronzes to inspire your imagination:
    [​IMG]

Here's one from you boy, Gordian III:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I hate you ancient guys........you're too commingle, loving and understanding.......why do I like that guy that wants to build a wall?

Lovely photos fellows.........:)

Mikey Zee, stevex6, Ajax and 2 others like this.
  13. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

@Sallent Its about time you come to the darker side. Large bronze coins are awesome, having a box of them is like lifting weights. Or a weapon, if you decide to throw it at someone. :D

Still small compared to some, but these are probably the largest coins I have.

[​IMG]
    35mm

[​IMG]
    29mm

14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Love the Heavy Bronze also...

Egypt Ptolemy IV 221-205 BC AE Tet 40mm 7-2 thick 69-5g Zeus Ammon Eagle.jpg
    Egypt Ptolemy IV 221-205 BC AE Tet 40mm 7.2mm thick 69.5g Zeus Ammon Eagle

Egypt Ptolemy III AE Tet 41mm 7-2 thick 67-5g Zeus Ammon Eagle.jpg
    Egypt Ptolemy III AE Tet 41mm 7.2mm thick 67.5g Zeus Ammon Eagle

RR AE Aes Grave Sextans 270 BCE 37mm 55-28g Dioscuri R and L Obv-Rev.JPG
    upload_2017-3-10_20-9-25.png
    RR AE Aes Grave Sextans 270 BCE 37mm 55.28g Dioscuri R and L

upload_2017-3-10_20-8-8.png
    upload_2017-3-10_20-8-25.png
    Roman Republic
    Anonymous issue
    Aes Grave Triens , Libral Standard
    46mm, 90.3g, (OH! and 9.3mm THICK!)
    280-276 BCE
    Rome Mint
    Obv: Thunderbolt; •• •• across field.
    Rev. Dolphin right; •••• below.
    Ref: Crawford 14/3; Haeberlin pl. 39, 7-10. Thurlow & Vecchi 3; Sear 538

16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

17. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Mighty bronze is mighty.

s-l1600.jpg

18. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I am a fan of big bronze.
    2.17.16 003.JPG 2.17.16 004.JPG RR as and semis
    DSCN0695.JPG two aes grave and a nice sized aes rude

19. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, coin-gang ... what an amazing coin-thread (a bunch of great examples!)

=> ummm, here are a handful of my big, bronze and beautiful examples ...

Anonymous Aes Graves Sextans.jpg Anonymous Roman Republican Janus.jpg Anonymous AE As Gryphon.jpg Anonymous AE As Fly.jpg Antoninus Pius AE Colourful.jpg Antoninus Pius Ae Drachm Sphinx.jpg Antoninus Pius Croc.jpg Antoninus Pius Dikaiosyne.jpg Antoninus Pius Alexandrian Three Peeps a.jpg Antoninus Pius Alexandrian Three Peeps b.jpg

Curtisimo, zumbly, dlhill132 and 14 others like this.
  20. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I agree.

I discovered more than 25 years ago that, when it comes to ancients, my preference clearly lay with bronzes.

Nothing like the heft feel of a large bronze coin in hand. Also, for some reason I was more 'moved' by legends and devices engraved in bronze, than on silver.

Difficult to describe, really.

Today, more than 50 % of my roman coin collection is composed of 1st and 2nd. century sestertii.

Vespasian Sestertius-Wreath-Rev-Better - 1.jpg Vespasian Sestertius-Wreath-Obv - 1.jpg Julia Carpentum Sestertius Obv - 1_opt.jpg Julia Carpentum Sestertius Rev - 1_opt.jpg Lucis Verus Sestertius-Mars-Obv - 1.jpg Lucis Verus Sestertius-Mars-Rev - 1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  21. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I'll throw in this 'Provincial' since I primarily grabbed it because it was so BIG!!!

caracalla sacred grove 34 mm.jpg

Bronze AE 34, Butcher p. 464 and pl. 29, 29 (same reverse die); SNG Cop 31; BMC Galatia p. 127, 23, VF, well centered on a broad flan, porosity and a few pits, Zeugma, probably struck at Antioch mint, weight 16.594g, maximum diameter 34.2mm, die axis 0o, 16 May 218 - 11 Mar 222 A.D.; obverse AYT K M AY ANTΩNINOC CE, laureate bust right, slight drapery on far shoulder; reverse ZEYΓMATEΩN, tetrastyle temple, peribolos enclosing the sacred grove of trees, statue of seated Zeus within temple, disc on pediment, capricorn right in exergue; BIG 34mm bronze!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Curtisimo, zumbly, dlhill132 and 13 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted